oc waxbill moulting trying egg food for first time

Learn what to feed your birds.
Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

oc waxbill moulting trying egg food for first time

Post by Phoenix811 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi finch parents:) I tried cooked egg the other day for the first time and he didn't touch it, just received 'morning bird egg food' today and it says u can moisten it and to place in spare dish, I am wondering if this goes bad after a certain time frame (like a regular egg) and I should trade it out due to the added water. (it doesn't say on the package)
I am also wondering if I should mix some of his regular seeds/food in with it? also if its better to just leave dry..
any suggestions from someone with experience would be appreciated :) thank you!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: oc waxbill moulting trying egg food for first time

Post by Fraza » Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Phoenix811

I use my own egg mix but did use dried aswel and I found that only the birds that had eggs or chicks started to eat it where as the birds who wasn’t breeding didn’t go anywhere near it
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon May 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Phoenix811

It will go bad if it is moist, so I'd remove it after several hours. Mine like dry eggfood, which shouldn't go bad so long as water doesn't get to it. Mixing seeds into the eggfood could make it more appealing.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Fraza I guess your right as he hasn't gone near it yet! lol :) Icearstorm the consistency is somewhat powdery yet mixed with some type of seed, I did add a bit of water, Im going to remove in an hour and place a fresh bowl with dry mixed with his regular seed as u said/ hopefully that works! Thank u both for your feedback :)
any thing else I can do for a molting finch? I have the calcium drops for the water.. he seems ok just preening nonstop, I just want to make sure he remains healthy, I hear it takes a lot out of them...

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Phoenix811 yep probably I don’t know why it happens my fat zeb never ate anything apart from seed and then he’s had acutch and now he eats everything whilst the chicks have hatched but when he’s not breeding he sticks to his seeds again. Crazy
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Fraza oh I would LOVE for my lil guy to get fat! he's a tiny runt (barely one size up from a hummingbird haha) :) well, I sprinkled the dry egg food over his regular seed and he's super energized today, so far so good.. (thanks again for your feedback, I don't know anyone personally with finch birds out here)

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue May 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Phoenix811 ur welcome and really there’s no one around ly it’s crazy I don’t know what I would have done without options of others around me
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Phoenix811

You're welcome! Broccoli and other greens are also good; be careful with spinach though, as the oxalic acid it contains can interfere with calcium absorption.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Fraza oh trust me I am going crazy! I verify everything before I do it, even something as simple as give them a grape (Im like a new mom, I would rather err on the side of caution as they are so delicate and tiny/ and Im still new at this) ps they didn't touch the grape lol
@Icearstorm thanks for the heads up with the spinach, I did not know that! see that's why I love this forum, u guys are so helpful, thanks again :)

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Wed May 16, 2018 1:45 am

For nestling food, I use a food processor to blend hard boiled eggs (shells and all) and a little water with some dried egg food by Volkman called "Petamine". A batch stays fresh in an air tight container in the fridge for about 4 days. The 5' long feed trays are cleaned and refilled every other day.

They also get a wide variety of veggies and about 5 different kinds of vitamin enriched seed. The narrow "treat trays" are designed in a way that their tails hang over the side (for the most part anyway).
treat trays.JPG
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am

Phoenix811 haha I could imagine they seek so delicate because of there size but they are quite hardy
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 pm

wow 'Paul's Amazing Birds' u are named correctly! beautiful healthy birds! great job :)
@Fraza my cordon bleu is very robust & healthy, but my orange cheek - who got me started on this whole finch business, I only purchased because he was the runt and had an injured foot was being pecked on/ bulied by the zebras in an over crowded cage at the pet store (as I have a handful of wild bird rescues- this was my first 'pet store rescue', I got the cordon bleu to keep him company.. and so it goes.. never intended on keeping any birds as I also have a cat LOL) my orange cheeks leg gives out like every other month, which I have to hold him all day so he can rest, its fine as I currently work from home, hes my sweet angel <3 he always bounces back, hence his name Phoenix.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Phoenix811 great little story and it’s good that you help wild birds
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Fraza thank u, its been a hobby since childhood, when I was planning to become a Vet (but I haven't got the stomach for it) so I just do little things that I can, there are obviously a lot of injuries during fledgling season- cant just leave them there for the predators..
here is a pic of my boys (u can see the size difference/ my oc is tiny and my cordon bleu is a genetic freak/ the Arnold Schwarzenegger of his species! hahhaha:)
Attachments
tristan  and phoenix.jpg

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri May 18, 2018 2:34 am

Phoenix811 tell me about it he’s huge lol
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL