Dandelions

Learn what to feed your birds.
Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Dandelions

Post by Rob » Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 am

My yard is covered in dandelions and I've heard of people feeding them to their birds. Which part do you feed? The stem, the flower, the leaves at the bottom, the whole thing?

Thanks

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Dandelions

Post by Sheather » Fri May 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Mine enjoy the leaves, ignore the rest. However, they're much more fond of the big store bought leaves and just pick over anything from the garden, which may not taste as good, I'm not sure.
~Dylan

~~~

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:08 pm

Rob:

I just pull up the entire plant and attach it in the aviary by the root. Most of the birds, especially the Timbrado canaries, eat all parts of the plant, but particularly like the flowers. The canaries, Gouldian, and blue-faced parrots all eat the plants.

Of course, only use plants that have not been sprayed with anything, including fertilizers.

Mike

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri May 25, 2018 4:38 pm

I dig them so at least part of the root is attached to the leaves. Then I put the root part in water, in a shallow crock. They stay fresh all day that way. The birds gobble them down.

I've about cleared my lawn of dandelions that way, over several years. I've considered working on my neighbor's lawn, but I haven't worked out a good way to explain this to the arresting officer.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 pm

Dave wrote: I've about cleared my lawn of dandelions that way, over several years. I've considered working on my neighbor's lawn, but I haven't worked out a good way to explain this to the arresting officer.
That's great ha. I hope to clear my lawn as well. They don't spray here, so seeds blow in from all over

Thanks everyone for the replies