Over weight firetail

Learn what to feed your birds.
Sheddy
Pip
Pip

Over weight firetail

Post by Sheddy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi, I have an issue with a particularly greedy female firetail, she has a liking for egg food and is so desperate to get it she will land on me as I am trying to mix it. I am getting concerned about her health as she is now in my opinion over weight, she is rather rounder than the other firetail in the aviary. I have nests with chicks in at the moment so I am not sure if I can stop feeding the egg food?

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Over weight firetail

Post by CathyCraftz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Egg food is vital for hens when feeding young. How often do you feed the egg food? Once the chicks can eat seed by themselves you can feed the egg food less often, about once every few days. The hen will need more excercise, so maybe you can let her excercise indoors.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Sheddy
Pip
Pip

Post by Sheddy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 am

Thanks Cathy, that's what I thought, so whilst there are chicks I must feed the eggfood daily. I am unable to exercise her outside of the aviary as the aviary is at my place of work (a garden centre). I've heard that firetails are known for their greediness, it's a shame as she is the friendliest little bird in there and as a result my favourite, I hate to think she may die due to her own greed. :(

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:07 am

Try feeding her more fruits and vegetables. That should fix the problem as eggs have a lot of protein.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~