Picky about seeds?

Learn what to feed your birds.
GailC
Pip
Pip

Picky about seeds?

Post by GailC » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:49 am

I'm feeding a quality seed mix containing different millets, canola and canary grass along with others I don't know but my societies will only eat the white/red millet and the oat groats.
They don't even try the canary grass seeds and waste a huge amount of food trying to toss the canary grass out.
They also get spray millet every couple days, egg food daily though that will be removed soon. Different pelleted foods that they nibble at, greens and semi ripe fresh grass heads.

The local pet store sells a mix that is mainly white/red millets, will this be ok? I feel like I should offer more variety but if they aren't eating it, why bother?

What other kinds of fresh foods beside greens can I offer? I tried cherries once but they weren't interested. Not sure if they even eat fruit.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Picky about seeds?

Post by CathyCraftz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:49 pm

You can also offer mashed boiled peas and carrots that are sold frozen in the supermarket. Try adding some soft food mix to increase the nutritional value and to make it more appealing to the finches. Some finches are very stubborn to try new foods, so if they see a finch that devours the new food they will take a liking to it as well.
The seed mix you are feeding right now does not have enough nutrients. My seed mix contains all kinds of millet, canola, hulled oats, canary seed and grit that my zebra finches ignore.
If you can find any finch breeders near you I'm sure they can give you advice as well.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

GailC
Pip
Pip

Post by GailC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:29 pm

I've been feeding them dry volkmann's eggs food but today I gave it to them wet and they can't stay out of it:)

My mix has more than I mentioned but the majority is millet and canary grass. I don't see how mixing other foods with it will help, they will just pick out what they want.

I've seen them pick up the canary grass but they never get it hulled, the babies tried too and just couldn't seem to eat it.

Can anyone recommend a good brand with no canary grass? Or a recipe for making my own mix?

I'll get the frozen veggies next time I go to the store.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Making your own seed mix from scratch can be a bit hard as it is difficult to find each ingredient. If the canary grass are all your finches ignore, maybe each time you top up their feeders pick the canary grass out.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

HillbillyFinch
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by HillbillyFinch » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 am

You can buy separate seeds from the Glam Gouldians website. They have red and white millet and some of it hulled, plus some other seeds. You can buy bulk millet as people food and sometimes it is a bit cheaper that way. My 4 finches will not eat canary grass either. I notice they also pick out the poppy seeds or at least I think that is what the little black seeds are. Try broccoli, romaine lettuce, corn and even air-popped popcorn, apples, bananas, cantaloupe.