birds refusing greens

Learn what to feed your birds.
tex
Nestling
Nestling

birds refusing greens

Post by tex » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:57 am

I have always had trouble getting my two male zebras to eat greens and fruit but occasionally they would eat cucumber and peashoots,now and for the past couple of weeks they will only eat seed and eggs, i continue to present them in the hope that they will start eating them again but with zero success.
Do i need to be concerned?, should i be giving vitamins? I have tried pretty much any greens you care to mention and they show zero interest in fruit either.
Do birds go through phases with eating habbits as i have had them 6 months now and suddenly they have adopted awkward eating fads almost out of the blue?
They also ignore cuttlebone,iodin,oystergrit, they seem and they look fit and healthy and i would like to keep it that way. One of my birds has grown an overbite because he wont grind on anything but it doesn't stop him wolfing down seed and egg.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: birds refusing greens

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:10 pm

tex

You're not alone, I can only get my finches to eat shredded swiss chard .

I give my finches dried vitamin fortified eggfood and they love it. Or you can give vitamin drops 3 times a week in their water.

I would only give vitamins drops 3 times a week to prevent overdosing them on vitamins.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:11 pm

They can be like little kids. Food preferences and aversions come and go.
They may be perfectly happy with a base diet with no supplements for a while.
I wouldn't worry.

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:13 pm

My parents have a cockatiel that is 21 years old. Never touched his greens. Loved his seeds and cooked spaghetti noodles. He's happy as a clam in mud. I would not worry. Good seed diet, lots of fresh water and a clean cage.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Finches can be unwilling to try new foods. If you have just got them, they still might be a bit nervous. When I first bought my female zebra finches, they refused everything but a week later will devour almost any food I give them.
Try mixing the greens in with their favourite food. Or if nothing works, buy a vitamin supplement for them that can be put in water.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:21 am

CathyCraftz wrote: Finches can be unwilling to try new foods. If you have just got them, they still might be a bit nervous. When I first bought my female zebra finches, they refused everything but a week later will devour almost any food I give them.
Try mixing the greens in with their favourite food. Or if nothing works, buy a vitamin supplement for them that can be put in water.
Thanks but not just got them, i've had them 6 months, however i will give vitamins and see if there eating habits return to normal. Babs mentioned swiss chard i'll try that.May end up seeing a vet about the overbite he is beginning to look like a pelican. :roll:

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:21 am

tex wrote:
CathyCraftz wrote: Finches can be unwilling to try new foods. If you have just got them, they still might be a bit nervous. When I first bought my female zebra finches, they refused everything but a week later will devour almost any food I give them.
Thanks but not just got them, i've had them 6 months, however i will give vitamins and see if there eating habits return to normal. Babs mentioned swiss chard i'll try that.May end up seeing a vet about the overbite he is beginning to look like a pelican. :roll:
His beak might be too long, some people do clip it but it’s safer for a vet to clip.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

David
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by David » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 am

Maybe you spoiled them lol :D my zebra finches love greens such as romaine lettuce, peas etc. maybe you should try some vitamins in water or mix some powder with seeds :) they can’t pick anything but eat as usual when eating seeds! So when they eat them will consume the vitamin powder too. =D>

David