Low fat diet

Learn what to feed your birds.
canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Low fat diet

Post by canary3000 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Can someone recommend low fat seeds? My birds just finished their moulting. I'd like to know what seeds are good during the resting phase. I'm guilty of feeding rich foods. Do seeds have to be in their daily diet or can I alternate between greens one day, low fat seeds the next......or pellets one day, greens the next. Unless pellets are too high in fat too? Thanks

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Low fat diet

Post by wildbird » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 pm

They should always have seeds available. My finches have greens every day also.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:13 am

canary3000

Seeds should always be available on a daily basis.

If you want to cut down on fat, cut back egg food and or eggs to once a week, along with things like chopped sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, etc.

Greens can be served in small amounts on a daily basis, or every second day.

If you are concerned about them getting fat, make sure they have a flight cage that's large enough to allow for flight , not just hopping from perch to perch.

I don't feed pellets, don't believe in them.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:00 pm

canary3000 wildbird lovezebs

I agree with Elana and wildbird. You birds should always have seed and if you offer pellets they should be on the side so the bird can have them if they want them.

Pelleted diets are being refuted now (and rather boring for the birds to eat every day).

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/types-of- ... ick-guide/

Thats a good guide for the fatty content of seeds. When you have parents raising chicks, fatty seeds are good to add.

And as Elana mentioned exercise is key to their health.