Weaning a rescued Goldfinch

Learn what to feed your birds.
Jessers
Pip
Pip

Weaning a rescued Goldfinch

Post by Jessers » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Hello everyone!

I work with a wildlife rescue and during the spring intern of rescued babies this little gal came into my care. She's a goldfinch and I got her just before Halloween. I am unsure of her age but suspected she was around 18 days old or so when I got her.

Unfortunately due to local circumstances she cannot be released back into the wild so she will be living with me. I know in most countries it is illegal to keep wild goldfinches, but I live in New Zealand where it is legal to keep rescued ones.

Here is her picture when I first got her:

Her diet is soaked high protein kitten biscuits mixed with Roundybush Formula 3, Conditioning and Rearing Bird Softfood, and egg. She's been eating that regularly.

Here is a picture of her about a week after I got her:

Two weeks after:

Due to her messy feeding she's looking a bit rough for wear as she's missing some feathers round her crop area. She's a mess all the time and despite trying to clean her constantly she always finds a way to get food on herself!

This is her today, possibly 37 days old (right after a feed and before cleaning):

She's been flying around the house (It's bird safe) and made herself right at home. She's been foraging for food and trying out seeds, fruit and vege and pellet crumble, but has yet to stop screaming for her regular soft food around 4 times a day. Lately though despite her crying for food, when it is offered she seem's to want it, but not want it. She shakes her wings and get's excited but has stopped opening her mouth. So feeding her wet food is getting more difficult.

From what I can find (very little) goldfinches take longer to wean than other birds, but I suspect she should be weaned by now. I've tried holding off feeding her (letting her screech for an extra hour or so depending) and keeping a variety of food and seed available in all the areas she hangs out in (she mostly only goes in her cage at night, where there is always food and water available).

She's yet to try regular water or even to bathe herself, even though I keep a safe dish of water out for her to try.

So does anyone have any ideas on how I can help wean her/know if she's ready?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Weaning a rescued Goldfinch

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:41 am

Jessers

What a cutie.

I think you're doing a wonderful job with this little one.

As I'm not really familiar with Gold finches, I can't offer any weaning advice.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Usually finches can wean themselves, but continue offering her seeds. Based on your description, she has started to wean. It will be more difficult to feed her wet food, so leave seeds in her cage. Please do not hold off feeding her, it may be detrimental to her health.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:04 am

Are seeds the proper diet for her? Or, if wild, should she be more of an insect eater?

Perhaps the seed diet she could feed herself isn't complete enough, and that's why she still screams to be fed?

Or what if you put her wet food on a little dish in front of her, so she can learn to eat it herself, and gradually mix more seed with it so she transitions to seed only?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 am

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 am

There are foods available for insect eating birds. ladygouldianfinch.com sells some. Universal Extra made by Raff for insectivorous birds is one of them. You can also try some thistle seed that is sold there too. 800-579-7974. There are other places that carry food for them too. I've seen it for sale at bird marts.