Sweet Potato for finches?

Learn what to feed your birds.
OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Sweet Potato for finches?

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi, I often bake myself sweet potatoes (no salt, no oil, nothing). Is it ok for my zebra finches to eat some of my sweet potatoes after they cool? I heard that finches can eat raw sweet potatoes, but my birds are not fans of such hard to chew things.
Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks in advance. <3
I have two zebra finches; Mouschi, and his girlfriend, Kim.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Sweet Potato for finches?

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:10 pm

OliwiaMoriarti

Cooked is fine. I'm trying to get mine to eat sweet potato, but they've ignored it so far.

OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:19 am

Icearstorm wrote: OliwiaMoriarti

Cooked is fine. I'm trying to get mine to eat sweet potato, but they've ignored it so far.
Awesome, that´s good to know. I´ll see if I get mine to eat them, they're very picky, so wish me luck. I´ll tell you if I figure something out. <3
I have two zebra finches; Mouschi, and his girlfriend, Kim.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:49 am

You can put the raw sweetpotato in the foodprocessor and turn it into a fine mush. Then you mix it with with aviplus and feed it to them daily. I used to do that with carrots, butternut, broccoli, apple, spinach and a few eggs. I poured the mixture into icecube trays, froze it and popped out a few vegi cubes on a daily basis. I would let it thaw out and mix it with Avi-plus eggfood to feed to my finches on a daily basis.

Nowadays, I am lazy, I just take a small amount of Avi-plus, add a bit of niger and poppy seed, and grate a small amount of carrots over it. I mix it with a small amount of hot water and feed it to the finches in the mornings.
Marius