What kind of herbs can i feed my finches

Learn what to feed your birds.
StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

What kind of herbs can i feed my finches

Post by StodOne » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Hello there , i was wondering as i cannot find a clear explanation or topic or maube i just havent looked hard enough or i just want someonr who had experience with this already to share with me if possible.
So i have a summer home in natura and i have access to many wild fruits , plants and herbs , more specifically i am wondering if i can give my birds yarrow (Achillea millefolium) there are plentyfull ammounts where i live and i know that it is healthy for humans as a tea and it is good for wounds , it has antiseptic effect , if birds can have it , is there a preparation needed or do you need to givem only certain part of it..
Thank you in advance
(Sorry if you find spelling mistakes i am on a phone)

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: What kind of herbs can i feed my finches

Post by isobea » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:05 pm

StodOne - I'm not sure about yarrow. I also know of the benefits for humans but I've never attempted to feed it to my birds. I have plenty of yarrow in my yard but have never seen (in the 33 years that I've lived here) any wild birds eating it.
I don't know where you live but if you have chickweed growing there, shepherds purse, wild mustard, different grasses or broadleaf plantain, I do know that they are safe. My European goldfinches love the seeds of the broadleaf plantain and everybody loves chickweed.
Iso

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:47 am

isobea Thanks for response I have chickweed in abundance where I live am just waiting for it to start growing :YMDAYDREAM:

Elgolmoon
Pip
Pip

Post by Elgolmoon » Mon May 06, 2019 2:53 pm

I give my Finches Herb Salad by Twin Beaks. It does include Yarrow. I’ve actually made up a batch of my own now - got the herbs from Baldwin’s Pharmacy online. It’s very popular with my goulds.