Washing Veggies

Learn what to feed your birds.
ericabelle
Pip
Pip

Washing Veggies

Post by ericabelle » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:43 pm

What does everyone use to wash their birds' fruits and veggies? I have been using plain liquid soap, but I'm sure there must be something better.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Washing Veggies

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:49 pm

ericabelle

I usually buy frozen and give them that, but I'll occasionally get fresh and scrub it with water, or very slightly dish-soapy water.

ericabelle
Pip
Pip

Post by ericabelle » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Icearstorm

That's what I've been doing, too - watering down some liquid soap and washing the veggies. I have a canary, and so I'm washing greens for him a couple times a day. That's why I thought I'd better make sure I was doing it right! :)

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:02 pm

I rinse three times and under the faucet with running water, organic dandelion greens and kale.Even organic greens have to be washed. They only get organic because of the pesticides used and if it is a gmo product, those pesticides are right in the produce and can't be washed off. Apples are very high in pesticide use, so it's best to use organic, if you can. Frozen veggies from the USA, organic and gmo free can bought at Earthfare, if you have one near where you live.

ericabelle
Pip
Pip

Post by ericabelle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks, wildbird - no Earthfare here, but we do have a couple of farmer's markets. I will try those since I'm not too sure about the quality of veggies at the grocery stores here.