source for austerity for Gouldians

Learn what to feed your birds.
catherlee
Hatchling
Hatchling

source for austerity for Gouldians

Post by catherlee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Hello, I'm having trouble finding the austerity seed mix here in America (Florida.) Does anyone know of a good source that can send to Florida?
Pair of red-head Gouldians, male canary, blue poison dart frog, orchids, goldfish, clownfish, and a brindle greyhound.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: source for austerity for Gouldians

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:15 pm

Just use a basic plain 'ol finch mix and water.
No veg, fresh food, egg food, vitamins, calcium or any other extras.

Do that for a month or more to imitate the dry summer season in the wild when a good meal is harder to come by.
They will do just fine on that for longer periods if you choose.

Then if you want them to breed start some egg food and any other extras that they will take. They will think that spring time's abundant food has arrived and will begin to think breeding.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Re: source for austerity for Gouldians

Post by MariusStegmann » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 am

What I understand under austerity food is more centered on giving the birds low fat food, low in protein. I feed red panicum seed during the austerity period. This caused the egg producing parts in the hens to shrink and gives the hens a much needed rest. A seedmix would contain canary, canola, niger and jap millet that has a high fat content and won't take the birds out of breeding mode. I think white millet or yellow panicum would also do the job. Be careful not to confuse red millet with red panicum. Red millet is bigger and a bit too hard for finches. (It is the red seed in budgie seed)
Marius