Lighting question

Learn what to feed your birds.
Dave H
Pip
Pip

Lighting question

Post by Dave H » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 am

Hi guys

So I've had our 2 finches for a few weeks now & finally feel like they're settled.
I have the Zoomed avian sun lamp deluxe, & think I've been keeping it on them for too long - but can't seem to find a definitive answer to if I have or not. It's on half of their cage for 12hrs a day. I've seen somewhere that 1 to 2 hours is ample. Am I over-dosing them on light?? They have a less lit area, & I angle it but not too close.

Also, do they need a night light? All our lights are off once we go to bed

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Lighting question

Post by wildbird » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm

I have a lamp on at night with an old type 60 watt bulb in it. They are facing away from it and that part of the cage is covered, so they have a dark place to sleep. That's where their nest is anyway. But if anything scars them, they can see to fly around. I don't use avian sunlamps, just a regular old type light bulb in the room for light where I am too. If it's nice outside, they are out on the screen porch, and I think they prefer regular daylight from the sun. One or two hours is probably enough for a sun lamp, and then use a regular old type light bulb somewhere in the room for light. Just my opinion. I don't know a lot about those lamps.