Kibble?

Learn what to feed your birds.
Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Kibble?

Post by Thalia » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi all,
well I'm running out of the cheapo seed mix that I was given when our friends gave us Alfred and the lady at Super Pet said that finches should be on a kibble that provides dried fruit and veggies as well as seeds. Is this correct? Can anyone reccommend a brand?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:19 pm

I never had any luck getting my Zebras to eat fruit and only a few vegtables. If yours will eat it then that's great, but I would buy a small bag of this "kibble" to see if they like it otherwise you are wasting your money.

Also, some people switch their birds over to a pellet based diet. But I never did, a good quality seed mix is what I feed mine.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:56 pm

I feed a good quality seed as well, and supplement with fresh fruits (they do like oranges) and vegetables. In addition they get eggfood for protein, an oystershell/mineral mix, and eggshell. Hopefully that covers all of their nutritional needs!

Hilary

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:58 pm

thanks guys, the pet store lady suggested a seed mix that also contains bits of fruits and veggies, I think it's by Natural Blend or something, I checked the ingredients and it's all natural stuff no artificial flavours or colours, hopefully they like it :)

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:06 pm

I get my seed online from Herman Bros. in Detroit MI. They do specialty mixes.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 pm

I am trying to get them on Kaytee's pellet blend food right now. I tried some pellets from a company called Lefeber?? they wouldn't eat it at all. At least the new pellets are colorful and smell good. The seed mix I switched them to while they are weaning has multiple types of seed, as well as bits of fruits and veggies. I also add crushed oyster shell to each food dish.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:30 am

hi
in my experience it does not matter what you give them as long as it is the best you can afford ...you will only get out what you put in!

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

societyspice
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by societyspice » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:09 pm

I got mine to eat a pellet diet (ZuPreem), but I also will sprinkle some conditioning forumula (has some seeds in it), dried greens, and oyster shell in with it. I also use eggfood (the Roy's recipe). Recently, I put some fresh lettuce leaf bits and chopped up tomato in the cage and my society really liked the tomato!

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:56 pm

My finches would rather starve to death than eat pellets.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:24 pm

MIne too!
TammieB.

societyspice
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by societyspice » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:43 pm

Mine definitely love the seed and they will pick out all the seeds first (especially the millet!) before moving on to pellets. They never eat those long, skinny black seeds that you get in the store mixes (what are those called?) Does anyone else's birds eat the long, skinny black seeds??

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:17 am

the long skinny black seeds are niger,mostly eaten by goldfinches and canaries ,small finches rarely touch them but they are great for winter as they have a lot of beneficial oil in them..if you put them in a feeder in the garden you will get goldfinches by the dozen but they will actually gorge themselves to death on the stuff..if they dont eat it dont worry as you can put the stuff they dont eat on your bird table

heres a link to make sure its the correct stuff

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/w ... _birds.htm

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much