greek salad?

Learn what to feed your birds.
Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

greek salad?

Post by Thalia » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:55 am

I looked at the safe food list on the Finch Info Centre and it said that the onion, peppers and tomatoes were safe. I've fed cucumber before and they liked it, but I didn't see it on the safe food list. Think I could give them a little greek salad? I'm making it myself, so I can just give them the cut up veggies without the olive oil, vinegar, oregano and mint. Do you think feta cheese would be ok for them? Alfred seems to enjoy the cheddar I gave him yesterday, but feta is pretty salty. I'm trying to provide a varied diet for them, and so far it's going ok. They tried the mango, cheddar cheese, spinach and orange I've given them. They didn't like the mixed veggie baby food though :(

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Cucumber should be fine. Oregano and mint, too. I don't think they'll be interested in the feta but I don't think it would hurt them.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:49 am

Birds are supposedly lactose intolerant. Before I knew this I had offered my Zebras cheese when they were feeding chicks and they would go nuts over it. Evidently if fed in small amounts only on occasion it's okay?? I no longer feed cheese to my birds though.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:06 pm

well after a while at least one of them tried the baby food, which is nice. They also LOVE cheese, but I didn't try feta, since it's so salty. They loved their greek salad, next time I make it I'll include the oregano and mint for them :) I know that with parrots cheese is one of the foods that is good for them in small amounts, and cheese has very little lactose (I know I can eat quite a bit of it without feeling ill, and I'm lactose intolerant :) ) I know that parrots and finches are not at all closely related as far as birds go, but I figure if it's only a treat then it should be ok. I'm not sure if they liked the green pepper or not, I found little bits of it outside the cage, I don't know if that means they were picking at it a lot or if they tossed it out to get at the other stuff underneat lol.