Pomegranate?

Learn what to feed your birds.
Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Pomegranate?

Post by Thalia » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Think they can eat pomegranate? I didn't see it on the safe food list on the Finch Info Centre.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi Thalia, I like your avatar. :)

I have read that some of our native species, such as Mockingbirds, Woodpeckers & Wrens feed on the fleshy red seeds. So I would say it's probably safe for Zebra finches too. Never tried it myself though.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:44 am

Thanks! It's a picture of Andie :)

okee dokee I'll try it maybe tonight and let you all know how it goes :) They really lked the zuccini and red bell pepper I gave them yesterday.

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:59 am

Your finches aren't spoiled, are they? :lol:

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:18 am

No! :oops:
lol seriously it's so easy to give them table scraps though! I just look at what I'm cooking and take a tiny piece and chop it up fine and give it to them. So last night we had sausage fry up, which has sausage (duh) onion, bell pepper, zuccini and perogies, so while chopping up the veggies I put aside some for the birds :) I do the same thing for my hermit crabs! It's actually kinda nice b/c the hermit crabs will eat the soft spots on fruits/veg and the birds can eat the end bits that I normally toss. Tonight they'll probably just get pomegranate, b/c I'll have that as a snack later today and we're having left overs for dinner, so I'm not making anything fresh. And with the start that poor Alfred had I feel I should get as much good food in him as possible to get him recovering properly :) He has put weight on since moving in with Andie too, so I think his food dish was too deep for him in the other cage :(

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:11 pm

You are being a good finch mom. ;) It's good to hear Alfred is gaining weight.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:16 am

Well the pomegranate went over VERY well! They loved it, ate their little dish empty in a couple hours. It's the first time I've seen both of them eating out of the treat cup at once!
I have also created MONSTERS! They see me come in in the morning and they start hopping all over and cheeping and jumping up and looking in their empty treat cup and jumping back and hanging off the bars, yelling at me the whole time!! Unfortunately today they're going to be disappointed, they're only getting baby food this morning, maybe they'll get more pomegranate tonight though. Anyways I'd better go and give them something they're driving me nuts and making their cage swing on it's hooks :shock:

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:45 am

Soon you'll be finding little notes pinned to the cage door. Dear Thalia... Hurry up and feed us! :D
TammieB.

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:08 pm

FIRST OF ALL: TAMMIE. . . you must try pomegranite seeds. YUMMY.

My birds love them, but after they are done they look as though they have just murdured an animal with red dripping off their faces and beaks. Of course, I love them too!! Sometimes I do share.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Okay, I will make a special effort to do so. :)
TammieB.

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:11 am

lol well they haven't left me little notes [i]yet[/i] but the other day they did give me a headache :shock: I've decided to vary the time of day when I give them treats so they don't get as expectant. They got a piece of roasted sweet potato yesterday that went over pretty well, not as well as I thought it would, I'd have thought that something that sweet would have been a big hit, but not really. So far their favourites are spring mix and green or red bell pepper. They're being really quiet today so I may not give them any treats today, they have been getting spoiled lately :)

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:54 pm

I think it's good to keep them guessing. But I generally give them their eggfood/ veggies when I get home at noon. My birds get "treats" about three times a week. My Goulds are moulting now and one in particular is looking rough, so I've been feeding eggfood everyday for the past two weeks. That will be reduced once they finish moulting.
TammieB.