Membranes in eggshell

Learn what to feed your birds.
Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Membranes in eggshell

Post by Hilary » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:02 pm

OK, I would like to know if there is a real reason why I spend large amounts of time picking the membrane from inside eggshells that I plan to give my finches. Is there an actual reason why it's not ok to leave them after nuking/boiling the shell? Is it because they may spoil if left in the cage? I'm not talking about large chunks of egg - just the thin membrane.

Hilary :?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:20 pm

I have not heard of any problems with leaving the membrane in the shell then nuking it. BUT, I try to remove as much as possible after I crush the shells. It's fairly easy to remove after crushing as it sticks together in little clumps. I do this only because the shells look better with the membranes removed. I suppose if the membranes weren't completely dry and you left it in with the shells it could start to mold. I don't think that's likely to happen if the shells are nuked.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:05 pm

How do you guys crush yours? I'm using a mini chopper/processor. If there's too much membrane it doesn't chop up as fine but like Tammie its easier to pick out after chopping. I stopped using this chopper for the sunflower seeds becuase just a few smacks with a wooden kitchen mallet thingy and its finely ground. How small should the eggshell pieces be? Mine come out about this size "O" After reading about that torn crop I am curious if thats too big for birds feeding nestlings.

I usually peel the egg and then peel the shell off the membrane in big pieces. Depending on my mood, I either get alot of membrane-less shell or throw away alot of the shell with the membrane.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:28 pm

Thanks guys - I'll try picking it out after chopping. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting a lot of time without a good reason. I guess that clumps of shell will just end up under the grate on the floor of the cage if I don't, and I'd rather not waste it! The way my zebs lay eggs, they need all the shell they can get! (Plus a calcium supplement once a week - never fear.)

I also use a mini-chopper, and love the results. About 10 whacks and it's done. I was using a rolling pin, but it took some work to get it down to the right size. Again, too big and it ends up under the grate, and if it's powdered my guys won't touch it.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:19 am

I put the shells in a zip loc bag and use a rolling pin.

Funny story... kinda.

Before I bought a rolling pin I was always searching for something to roll over the bag of egg shells. One day I spotted a can of Coke on the table and thought "why not?" Well let me tell you why not. Those frigging egg shells are sharp and the tin they use for those cans is thin. A couple of passes over that bag and I had a can with tiny holes and warm Coke spraying all over the kitchen!

What a mess!!!
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:34 pm

:lol: I'll be sure not to try that one! My garlic press also worked well (using it more as a hammer!), but was more work than the mini-chopper!

Hilary

JeannetteD
Mature
Mature

Post by JeannetteD » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:37 pm

I'm old fashioned.. I use a mortar and pestle to crush the shells!

I used to use my fingers, and one day my dad came over and said, why dont you use your mortar and pestle.. umm.. DUH..

So I've been using that ever since.

Jeannette

MadHatter
Nestling
Nestling

Post by MadHatter » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:30 pm

I just baked/nuked my shells before crushing them. Once the moisture is out of the membrane it becomes brittle, and crushes right along with the shell...

edit: i spel gud :roll:

sunfish46
Pip
Pip

eggs and shells

Post by sunfish46 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:49 am

hi it's been a while since you have asked your question and i see there is much good info for you from other forum members. i am new to the finch post so here is my little trick--- break and crush eggs up as small as you can after cooking them place into a ziplock bag to refrigerate. after they are cool take a small amout out/what you would need to feed with place it into the bottom of a small feeder cup(i use a plastic 3oz. solo cup /bottom cut out) then take a sharp pair of scissors clean of course and snip away. you will find the tips of the scissors will cut the egg,shell and all into very nice small pieces. the trick is to make sure the egg product is cold before you try to snip up all the product.

sunfish
sunfish46

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:55 am

Cool tip - thanks!!

Hilary

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:18 pm

hi all
i usually grind mine up in an old coffee grinder,and then i spinkle mine over soaked seed that has still a bit of moisture on it and of course it sticks...as the birds pick the seed up to eat it they roll the seed around in their beaks and injest all the eggshell powder that was attached to the seed

ken :wink:
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Emily's Momma
Pip
Pip

Post by Emily's Momma » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:45 am

We do something similar to the mortar and pestel, but using a bowl, and the bottom of a plastic drinking cup. It works well, but we still end up having to pick out the membrane. How long do you microwave to make the membrane crispy enough to crumble? Also, where can I get a mortar and pestel?

JeannetteD
Mature
Mature

Post by JeannetteD » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:30 pm

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was on vacation in Jasper. Just when I thought I was getting away from taking care of our 40+ animals, I find myself shoveling elk poop out of my campsite.. that's another story.

You can get a mortar and pestle from walmart in the kitchen section, or any cooking store. Mine is marble and heavy but works great!

If I have shells from six eggs I nuke them for 3 minutes and that usually makes them crispy enough. And if they aren't the mortar and pestle makes fine work of them.. literally. It shreds them to teeny tiny pieces.

Jeannette

Marianne
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Marianne » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:58 pm

Hilary,it seems like everyone has you covered here with great advice so far, but here's my "two cents":

I found that when I rinse the shells under cold water, it makes the membrane a lot easier to pull out. I also use a rolling pin, sandwiching the eggshells in between a folded piece of waxed paper. Then you can just pour them right out into a dish.
Marianne
Northwest Corner of Connecticut

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:49 pm

Thanks all! I think that I've finally arrived at a compromise. The sweet lady at the cafeteria at work saves shells for me, so I was spending a LOT of time picking membranes out (yuk). I'm trying something different, though, and it's working great. I rinse the shells out in cold water, nuke until dry and brittle, then run them through my food processor (killing the blade, I'm sure). The membranes are also dry and brittle and end up in tiny pieces, and the birds seem to be eating them along with the shell without any bad effects. Woo hoo!

Hilary