Freeze-dried Bloodworms - Update 12/12

Learn what to feed your birds.
Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Freeze-dried Bloodworms

Post by Pukasand » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:11 pm

I got the Hikari Freezedried Bloodworms at Petsmart. It cost about $11 for a .42 oz size. The web site that Sally recommended thatpetplace.com has the same brand and size for $3.79. It also has a sale going on with S&H for $5.79 on any size order. Needless to say, I loaded up on it. PLus Krill, Spirulina Brine Shrimp and Daphnia. I use exclusively the Hikari brand because it states it is parasite and bacteria free. My Strawberries and Firefinches love, love, love the fd bloodworms. I 'serve' them straight, plus included in the eggfood. The rest of the birds gobble them up, also. Thanks, Sally, for a terrific suggestion. =D>
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Unforutnately, thatpetplace.com wants $54 for shipping a $3.79 item to me! (story of my life here in Canada) :evil:

So I still need to know if the link I provided is the right type of food/bloodworms to order (locally).

Thanks! :lol:
Liz

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:48 pm

L in Ontario wrote:If I were to buy some 'freeze dried bloodworms' - would this be what is being talked about? Is the pricing for their sizes what I should expect to pay? I noted in the description they are also known as "Red Mosquito Larva" - is that right? Teeny tiny things?

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl ... worms175oz
Yes, they look like tiny little worms (and they are the same as mosquito larva. Guess that's why so many people are allergic to them. I grew up in Manitoba...I've developed a resistance to mosquitoes. :wink: :lol:

I haven't tried this brand, but I'm sure it would be as safe as any other brand, as it's safe to feed to fish. I usually try to get a brand made by O.S.I. Comes in a HUGE red can for $9.99 if you can find it here in Canada. Petland here in BC carries that brand, though not always in the large size.
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:38 pm

L in Ontario wrote:Unforutnately, thatpetplace.com wants $54 for shipping a $3.79 item to me! (story of my life here in Canada) :evil:

So I still need to know if the link I provided is the right type of food/bloodworms to order (locally).

Looks correct to me.

Wow, $54, why would that be so high? Is there any chance I, personally, could ship it to you at a reasonable price? If so, I would be glad to do it for you.
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Pukasand wrote:
L in Ontario wrote:Unforutnately, thatpetplace.com wants $54 for shipping a $3.79 item to me! (story of my life here in Canada) :evil:

Looks correct to me.

Wow, $54, why would that be so high? Is there any chance I, personally, could ship it to you at a reasonable price? If so, I would be glad to do it for you.
Ahhh thanks ever so much Judy!! That's very sweet but I always 'jump' on things. I've ordered it just now (jumbo size) along with a couple of other small items. The birdies will swimming in bloodworms! At least I got free shipping (as it should be for orders over $100)! :shock:
Liz

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:14 pm

That's great. I'm a 'jumper' also. I was going to wait to see how Sally's birds did on the new stuff she bought, but I couldnt wait either. Good luck with it and let us know how your birds like it.
JUDY

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:21 pm

Why? When I had my ebay store shipping to Canada was just as cheap and in some instances cheaper than shipping to California. Liz I'll ship you some if you want me to.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:24 am

I finally got around to experimenting with these 'fish' foods. I decided to try them on one of my BCCB pairs, since I needed an insectivorous species to use. Yesterday, I put 1 tsp. each of Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, and ocean plankton in each of four identical small dishes. Clean papers in tray, so I could see if much was tossed (very little was). The amount they ate is as follows:

bloodworms - almost every bit
brine shrimp - about 3/4 tsp.
krill - about 1/2 tsp.
ocean plankton - about 1/2 tsp.

Today, I will give them the brine shrimp w/spirulina and the daphnia.

With all my breeding pairs and the juvies, I am topping off their eggfood with the bloodworms. I have one pair of RCCBs out of 3 that won't touch them, one pair of BCCBs out of 6 that won't touch them, but otherwise, they are completely gone by the end of the day.

Think I will move this to Diet and Nutrition.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Freeze-dried Bloodworms - Update 12/12

Post by Pukasand » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:24 pm

Great job, Sally. Mine too, love the stuff. Both the Strawberries and Firefinches gobble it up. ( I think my FF have eggs... shhhhh.... I'm not sayin' nuttin' 'bout the Berries :shock: ) The Goulds, Societys, Euros, BC Cordons and RF Canarys like it, too.
JUDY

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Yesterday, I gave the BCCB pair 1 tsp. each of brine shrimp w/spirulina, daphnia, and tubifex worms. The results follow:

brine shrimp w/spirulina - 1/4 tsp.
daphnia - almost all of it
tubifex worms - almost none of it

The tubifex worms I have used in the past with tropical fish, and they are dry cubes that when placed in the aquarium plump up to resemble worms, but in the dry state, they were obviously not appealing to the birds at all. The daphnia were like a dust, so fine, so they either ate them or they blew away LOL!

So I will give away the tubifex worms and brine shrimp w/spirulina, mix the krill, brine shrimp, and ocean plankton together to offer in a small dish, and continue to sprinkle bloodworms (and daphnia) on the top of their eggfood. If I ever think I am having a problem with any of these foods, I will post it right away. I don't really worry so much about overdosing, as all these foods are free-choice, and I just don't think birds will eat until they are sick (unless they have nothing else to eat).
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Good work and great reporting, Sally. Thanks for sharing. =D> =D> =D> =D>
JUDY

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm interested in giving these a shot now after reading through the thread. I don't see the offer code for shipping, is it over now? :?

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:18 am

Thank you so much for your report back!

I find it super helpful as I have an aviary with many insectivorous birds.

I bought some freeze dried bloodworms and sprinkled it over the egg food. The birds all snapped it up, especially the Zebras.
I will try the other types too like Daphnea, brine shrimp and krill. I am always looking for more protein sources as I don't manage to breed live food very well :oops:

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 pm

nixity wrote:I'm interested in giving these a shot now after reading through the thread. I don't see the offer code for shipping, is it over now? :?
I guess it is. I tried to pull up the promo coupon I rec'd from them, but when I opened it, it was also expired. Sorry, ..the items are great and my birds love them. My Firefinches are sitting tight, for the first time since I got them, perhaps the female was a bit young. But (shhh) my Berries are laying eggs, too. Don't know what will happen there. I think my male is too old. I would be beyond thrilled with some Berry Christmas chicks! :shock:
JUDY

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:43 pm

For anyone interested, I just got a promo coupon for That Pet Place (www.thatpetplace.com) for Free Shipping on orders of $75 or more..

Amount - Promo Code
Over $75 - HolidayA
Over $90 - HolidayB
Over $140 - HolidayC
Over $190 - HolidayD