hand rearing formula fed to adult birds??

Learn what to feed your birds.
tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

hand rearing formula fed to adult birds??

Post by tammieb » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:29 am

When I purchased my latest finches I was given an 18oz. container of EXACT hand feeding formula. I am not planning to breed my birds anytime soon, (I hope I never need to hand feed chicks), so am wondering if it would be okay to sprinkle some of the hand feeding formula on the mashed up boiled eggs that I feed my adult birds. I know freezing the formula is an option, but would like to use it if possible.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:42 am

I sprinkle it on my birds' egg mix sometimes. It's probably one of the better nutritionally balanced supplements you can give any bird. It is designed for growing chicks, obviously, so it contains more nutrients than an adult bird needs for maintenance, but as long as you are feeding it as only a small portion of the diet, this should not pose a problem.

It's nice to add to the egg because it helps cut down on some of the egg's moisture--meaning that the egg + Exact does not spoil as quickly.

-Crystal

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:02 pm

Thanks Crystal.

I did not think it would pose a problem so long as it was given occasionally. I did try it yesterday on the eggfood and they all seemed to enjoy it more than before. When I removed the dish last evening hardly any was left! That's never happened before!
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:30 pm

What new finches did you get Tammie?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:51 pm

Hi Sally,

Back in December you may recall that I came across a great deal. A woman located less than two hours from me was moving out of the country and needed to find a buyer for her small flock ASAP. I got 12 birds... a pair of berries, a pair of cb's, a pair of shaft-tails, a pair of societies, a pair of goulds- plus two extra males. Cages and all her supplies for $350.

I would like to breed the strawberries, cb's and goulds but lack room at the moment. Hope to move to a larger house as soon as I can find one that I like and can afford. :)
TammieB.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:11 pm

Holy cow that's an amazing deal! Congrats! :)

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:48 am

Yes, I remember the deal :) I thought you had snuck in a new species.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:44 am

Well I would like to have a pair of owls (if I can find them) and spice finches. But that'll have to wait til I get into a larger house. :) Right now, with the 12 and my old zebra pair, plus the canary hens, I have all I can handle.

I would like to have a parakeet someday too. :roll:
TammieB.