beak trim...

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Hope
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

beak trim...

Post by Hope » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:09 pm

My gouldians top beak is a little long. Do I need to trim it and how do I do that :?: Is it easy to do :?: I"ve not had to hold any of my birds yet :?

Rue
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Rue » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:14 pm

I trim beaks and nails regularily...a couple of our birds seem to have faster growth, and one has a slight cross-bill...

The first time I did it it was nerve-wracking! They're so small compared to my larger parrots!

I capture the bird in my left hand, with it's head between my index and middle finger...that way I can use my thumb to steady the head if necessary...

I like using cuticle scissors to trim their beaks, so I bought a horribly expensive pair just for that purpose...

For nails I use bird clippers...but if you can't find those, cat clippers are just as good...
A bird in the hand...requires some serious washing up...

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 pm

If the beak is just a little long, I would also consider providing a hard surface for the bird to "trim" it himself. If it's bad enough that you feel that you need to intervene, just be be very careful - you can easily cut too much off, or cut their tongue....
Hilary

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:30 am

I have two birds that their beaks are also constantly growing over. They are both Gouldians. I seem to have the most problems with Gouldians for some reason. I provide cuttlebone, mineral block, manz. perches, calcium perches, etc.... I don't think the Goulds utilize them like the other birds do.

TammyS
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by TammyS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:42 pm

I use a baby fingernail clippers to trim beaks when needed. Just remember that the beak can bleed if trimmed to short - just like the nails. So if you have a bird with an overgrown beak it is better to trim in a little at a time until it is corrected.

j
Pip
Pip

Post by j » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:36 pm

How can you tell when a beak is overgrown? Is it obvious, like with their nails?

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Yes... with mine, the upper top of their beak is growing past the lower part of the beak.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:35 pm

My red cheek cbs seem to have the most problems. Top or bottom will grow up to 1/4" longer than the other half, and one of my cocks actually speared himself and got stuck that way (how embarassing). They have to be trimmed. Some of my goulds will develop what I think of as "needles" on their beaks, but they'll usually knock those off themselves.
Hilary

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:44 am

you can also trim the beaks back with an emery board,if the growth is not too bad this is safer than scissors as you dont have to keep the tongue out of the way i use a metal one that i use for the dogs claws when i have cut them it works great

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much