Returning problems on Feet I Can't believe this...

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Malzmom
Hatchling
Hatchling

Returning problems on Feet I Can't believe this...

Post by Malzmom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:47 pm

Well this is an update, I quarantined my little guy for 8 days, his foot was beautiful, standing on the perch, no more red areas above the nails, bottom of foot clear. So I put him back in the big cage with his buddy. Not two weeks and he is favoring the foot again and I see there is a red area back on one of his toes. WHAT THE HECK is going on??? This has been on and off for months. Am I missing something? The cage and perches were cleaned, everything was perfect. Another question is it must be something inside him because my other finch has nothing wrong with him.
Should I maybe treat him with something for internal bacteria or viral?

I have posted before with an issue on what was determined as possible Bumblefoot. Only one of my finches is having the problem. This has been going on and off for many months....It clears up for a couple of weeks then comes back. I treat with Iverlux and neosporin, it goes away he is cheerful and fine, then comes back. Meantime they both are wiping their beaks on the perches and Jack is picking at his feet.
Yesterday I took Jack out of the ginormas cage and put him in a smaller cage so I could treat him and keep a better eye out. This time both feet have red areas on all the toes just above the nails, all four on one foot and two on the other nothing on the pads or tops of the toes or legs, just above the nail area. This morning I treated him with Iverlux, oitment and back in the cage. So what should I do? There isn't an aviary vet in my area so I can't do that, is there something I can do myself to help Jack get cured!! I have a new cage, sterilized all the perches, new nest...everything possible but it still comes back after a few weeks of being gone. Can someone please give me some advice here because obviously I am missing something along the line. I was asked the last time to check his breast, it feels fine. He also is sitting on the bottom of the cage, puffed and breathing somewhat different although I know he doesn't feel good so could that be why he is sitting on the bottom of the cage, as well I am sure his foot doesn't feel good on the perches.

Thanks a bunch,
Malzmom - Robin
Last edited by Malzmom on Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malzmom

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:48 pm

i dont know about the feet,but it sounds more serious than bumblefoot he could be infected with scaly face mite which do get on the feeet but sitting on the bottom of the cage is not a good sign..as it is a sure sign that he is not at all well especially if he is fluffed up this is thier way of retaining heat in the body its a great shame you cannot get him to a vet i hope he improves soon! look at this link and see if your birds feet are anything like the pictures on it

ken
http://www.birds-online.de/gesundheit/g ... ben_en.htm
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Malzmom
Hatchling
Hatchling

Problems on Feet

Post by Malzmom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks for that link Ken, thankfully NO they do not look like that.
He seems better tonight when I came in, sitting on the perch talking to my other finch through the cages...
Acutally his legs and feet look normal except for the red areas above where the nail starts...
I will keep treating as I have done and hopefully he will soon get well. I guess it is just like having kids, just watch, treat and pray a lot!!

Thanks for your kind note.

Robin
Malzmom

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:58 am

yep you are right they are like kids really ,i do hope he gets better soon and we are all here to help!
ken

p.s. by the way i found a really great homeopathic treatment for eyes...euphrasia comes in a solution to treat eyes and is 100% plant ,the plant in question is eyebright it really works

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

EstellaMA
Pip
Pip

Post by EstellaMA » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:43 pm

I have the same problem with one of my zebra finches, she gets a scab on the bottom of her foot and if left alone it covers the whole bottom/between toes and kind of cripples the foot. The vet told me it was bumblefoot. I check weekly and apply neosporin when it flairs up. She seems fine otherwise, bit of a loner, but that's probably because she spends half of her time in a hospital cage.