Beak tapping...is it normal?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Beak tapping...is it normal?

Post by kiwi & mango » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:50 am

I just started my male and female gouldian on some egg food mixed in with their regular seed a few times a week. I noticed the first time I gave it to them they both tapped their beaks on the perch. And again last night a saw the female do it again. Nothing hard but just a side to side motion about 3 times in a row then a few min. later she did it again.
Is this due to the fact there is different food in with the seed?

oh also there is a powder vitiamin in with the food as well.

Both are eating really well. The male is singing like crazy and the female sits beside him and they look at one another so seems like there are very happy with each other but the beak tapping is a little worrying since I have never seen either of them do it before.

Also on a different topic....does a male only sing to impress the female? or does he sing because he likes the sound? (my nine year old is FULL of questions...LOL)
thanks

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:50 am

Mine all do the beak tapping whenever they eat anything that is not seed, especially if it is moist food--they are just wiping their beaks, completely normal. As to the males singing, they may be more inclined to sing if a female is nearby, but my Cordon Bleu males sing more when separated from the females, and my male Green Singing finch has no mate and sings his head off, so I think it is more a territorial thing--they are letting all males within hearing distance know that they are there, and this is their branch, or tree, or yard or whatever.

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:22 pm

oh good..... :) I thought it would be somthing like the difference in the food since the first time I saw them do it was right after they ate the egg food for the first time.

So my male is singing to let other males know he is there? good to know. I thought he was singing to her and trying to win her over.... :) because he usually sings until she gives a little chirp then he is quite for a short time and then he will start again.

thanks

rottielover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by rottielover » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:41 pm

My gould's also "wipe" their beaks now and then. It's normal behavior, although I have to admit I was a little worried when I first observed it also :)

Sounds like your all setup, good luck!

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:10 pm

He may be singing also to impress his little girlfriend. I have boys in boys-only cages who sing to nobody, and it's a nice sound. I also have boys that, when with a female, take that singing a LOT more seriously. :lol:
Hilary

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:16 am

last night after I posted the question I noticed him sing and singing and she never answered him. Then he tried again and then she answered his singing and right after that he flew over and sat beside her on the perch.

they are so much fun to watch.

thanks