Feathers all fluffed up after laying eggs.... What is going

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
chrischris
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Feathers all fluffed up after laying eggs.... What is going

Post by chrischris » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi Guys/Gals,

I need your help...

I have a pair of goulds that have just started laying eggs 5 days ago. One egg per day till 4 eggs were laid. Last one being 2 days ago. I have noticed that her feathers were puffed out starting a few days before she started laying the first egg. Didn't think much as I thought it was due to the stress of egg laying but for the past 2 days she has been looking really bad. Feathers fluffed up and not really eating well as well as being on the bottom of the cage a lot. She is still able to fly but I can see she is weak and sleeps alot.

Yesterday I up the room temperature to 25.4 Celcius (77.7 Fahrenheit).

Today as she still is not doing too well and being on the bottom of the cage a lot I thought she might be egg bound so I caught her and placed a drop of calcium in her beak. I also noticed her vent was a bit wet and touched her abdomen/vent area and did not notice an egg present. She also felt thin in the chest area.

My questions are:
1. What is going on with her?
2. What else can I do?
3. If she does get better what will become of the 4 eggs she has laid?
4. If the hen dies will the cock/male incubate the eggs himself and raise the chicks?

Please help me, I'm desperate for answers

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:42 am

Are either incubating the eggs yet?

It sounds likely that you are right about her being eggbound. Let us know if she gets better within the next couple days, and maybe do the calcium in her beak one more time or so.

As with all finches, make sure she is getting lots of great nutrition (especially egg food every day)!

chrischris
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by chrischris » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:57 am

Yes I thought it was egg binding so I removed her from the cage and palced her in a shoe box (wire mesh on top) with water and food of all sorts and had the temperature raised to ~29 Cel. To increase the humidity I placed a damp cloth over the wire mesh on top of the shoe box.

Unfortunately this morning I found her dead.

She has already laid 4 eggs which look healthy and I am able to foster these eggs out. Just want to know if they would be viable? I have been told that with the single male it's unlikely that he will incubate the eggs by himself for the 2 weeks and than to rear 4 chicks.

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:02 am

Oh no! So sorry for your loss :(

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:13 am

hi chris chris
due to your description of the bird before it died take a look at this thread and se if anything matches up with your bird on this list

ken

http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/featur ... glight.mgi
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

chrischris
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by chrischris » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:40 am

Kenny,

The hen was in excellent health. Eating well and drinking and flying without any problems.

I truely believe that the egg laying did her in as her symptoms began a few days before she started to lay her first egg.

Also the Calcium supplemt I was using contains no Vit D3 which is necessary for calcium asorption and I will be replacing this supplement when I go to the pet store today.

Thank you all for your help.

:( :( :( :(

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:50 am

sorry for your lose... :(

Is there not a way to feel the birds stomach area to see if this is what she was sick from? or would you not be able to feel anything if it was related to eggs?

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:51 am

sorry that should say

sorry for your loss.....:(

chrischris
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by chrischris » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:23 am

thanks