"Drooping" wings? Fledgling question

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Marianne
Hatchling
Hatchling

"Drooping" wings? Fledgling question

Post by Marianne » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Hello everyone. Our two surviving fledglings (two didn't make it) are doing great. However, one of them is holding its wings "funny." Don't really know how to describe it, other than the wings are not folded tight against the body like the adults (or like the other fledgling). The wings look like they're drooping (wing tips are hanging down below the body). This little one is having no trouble flying, eating, etc...and otherwise looks fine. Anyone ever have this occur? Any advice is appreciated. thanks!
Marianne
Northwest Corner of Connecticut

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:40 pm

I've seen that in my own fledglings, though I don't know what it means. It's almost a semi-begging posture. They're not actively begging, but are ready to do so the instant an adult turns his/her head towards them!

Hilary

Marianne
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Marianne » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:40 pm

Thanks, Hilary. That makes me feel a little better; I only say "a little" because since my last post this same fledgling has been puffed up and breathing heavy, in addition to the "drooping." I went out and got a small heat lamp that can sit on top of the cage. He/she has been sitting under it and seems to be perking up a little. Again, the parents are still feeding it (it has no problem begging- ha ha) and it seems to fly fine. Just now it's enjoying the heat lamp and resting. Hopefully it's not more than that!

:?
Marianne
Northwest Corner of Connecticut