Could use some advice!

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Could use some advice!

Post by queenb » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:40 pm

Infected! – New to birding and forums,great place to start. One month ago,added owl to my aviary with 4 zebras (two pairs).One pair laid eggs (2) in the coldest part of the year (Los Angeles). I thought they wouldn't incubate. They did.Noticed excessive preening...talked to store..suggested they were molting and with babies expected...hold off on treatment. Babies born Jan 2,one died(disappeared-not thrown out) and another just died-never thrived-crop in place. Owl died 10 days ago. Mama with gook on beak. Please help! (Inadvertantly posted picture of infected bird in gallery. I'll figure this all out!)

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:36 pm

Sorry to hear about the problems! The chick who "disappeared" is probably buried in the nest somewhere - my societies do that rather than throw out dead chicks (darn their eyes!). How cold is cold down there right now?

Hilary

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Post by queenb » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:54 pm

Thank you for your concern. I thought the "missing" hatchling was covered as well, but couldn't find it. Possibly, one didn't hatch...(caution limited my complete view) and they ate the shell? They have abandoned the nest. I feel so bad for them.

At night it can reach 55. I have a plastic sheet around the cage and put large blankets over that because of the hatchlings. What a few days for the birds and their keeper! The parents are predictably tired, but I fear for the mama's overall health. Any ideas as to what is causing the lesion on her beak? I have noticed them scratching.

I adopted the birds from a deceased neighbor. They were barely maintained in a flock of mixed birds....maybe I am worrying too much, but with the death of my owl (my own addition) and the hatchling, I'm questioning my abilities. Bridget