New Finch from store- no tail feathers

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Fixer
Pip
Pip

New Finch from store- no tail feathers

Post by Fixer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:11 pm

I just came home from the Petco with two red-cheek finches- when I let them out of the box into the cage I noticed one had lost all its tail feathers, probably back in the bird room at the store , the workers had a hard time catching them as they flew in and out of other bird cages- anyway, I'm sure the store would take the one back- but I'm curious as to how long it would take those feathers to grow back. he's kind of pathetic but I worry what might happen if I take him back to the store-
thanks for any help

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:27 pm

Sorry your bird was damaged. Some of those pet shop people just don't seem to care about the animals in their care!

Anyway, the tail feathers should regrow next time the bird molts. I have a Society hen that gets routinely plucked of her tail feathers by her mate but she has always regrown them. To speed the process along you can do the following, which I took directly from the OLD Finch Information Center.

the following must be done to enable and stimulate feather regrowth: boost the iodine intake temporarily, feed more complete protein continuously, expose the bird to direct sunlight for a few hours each day, and feed the vitamins: D3, A, B2, B12, calcium, & phosphorus.

Good luck.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Fixer
Pip
Pip

Post by Fixer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:56 pm

thanks for the reply- I'll get that treatment going

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:57 am

dont worry fixer the tail missing on a bird is really nothing to worry about as long as it is fit and well

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Fixer
Pip
Pip

Post by Fixer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:40 am

thanks- the previous poster said they'll grow in next molt- how often do they molt, i'm kind of new to the hobby and I'm starting to read up on finches but my kids keep asking me "when will the feathers grow back daddy" a month, two months? They are really adorable tiny little birds. gotta love finches

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:13 pm

i should say that they will easily be back in a month

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Fixer
Pip
Pip

Post by Fixer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:15 pm

thanks