Panting & non activeness

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Raven85
Pip
Pip

Panting & non activeness

Post by Raven85 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:27 pm

I hate to be a bother....but I have a question about panting...do finches actually pant...it did get about 73 inside today..& chirp was pantin & flittering between the 2 perches for a while then went back in the nest..they both have been eating fine..but I noticed no bath today for either & they have been in the nest for over 2 hours now with nada peep out of em..they come out to stretch..then right back in they go...is this normal or am I paranoid?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:21 pm

Well I can't say my Zebra pairs ever sat on the eggs together. Usually it was the hen with the male filling in for short periods while she came out to get a bite to eat.

Yes, they do pant a bit if overheated or overly excited. Nothing to worry about though unless you seem them doing it alot.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:26 pm

you could always spray a little with tepid water or give them a bath.after all if you were sat in a box at 73 degrees i think you would pant also

ken :lol:
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Raven85
Pip
Pip

Post by Raven85 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:55 pm

ty ty ty..I feel much better now..I know I guess I'm being silly..but ty for the pep talk ...
umm..I think I figured it out what added to the stress & heat..my 2 yr old granddaughter was here..& between her & my 4 yr old(the birds are use to mine)..it was a little much for them(bad bird mom aint I)...they both have since came out..eaten real well & drank..again thank you for the info & encoragment*hugs*

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:01 pm

Raven85 wrote:my 2 yr old granddaughter was here..& between her & my 4 yr old(the birds are use to mine)..it was a little much for them(bad bird mom aint I)
Yep that would be a little stressful. ;)
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:58 am

hi raven
birds do get used to people after a while,and do get to know thier butlers and maids..but like everything else when someone new is introduced it creates a slight amount of stress as they need to feel secure ..its just the survival instinct

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much