Alfred has died

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Alfred has died

Post by Thalia » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:12 pm

Well I guess you guys were right, he was going light :( He's been eating like crazy lately and I thought he was gaining weight, but I think it was just his feathers filling in better, since he had some balding when I first got him. Tonight I came in to peek at them and Andie was sitting on the floor of the cage trying to snuggle with Alfred, but he had passed away. :cry: I feel so terrible, poor little guy, he had mushed sweet potato on his beak too. We put him in a little box and he's sititng in the garage, until tomorrow when we can try to dig a little grave for him. I feel so bad that he died so soon after we got him, I tried so hard to make him better :cry: I hope at least I made him more comfortable in his last days :( I took a good look at him and he was skin and bones, you really had to feel through the feathers, but he had no meat on him at all :cry:

Now of course I have a dilemma, please don't flame me for this, but I'm thinking of asking the pet shop to take back Andie. I really only got her because Alfred was lonely, and I don't know if I really want to get another finch, I'd really like a little bird I could handle, like a parrotlet or budgie or something. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask if they'd take her back or not, I don't know if they will, but if they will I might return her. I feel so bad, but I don't know what else to do, I bought the bigger cage with the idea that when they died I'd get a budgie or lovebird or something, but now that it's happened I feel guilty bringing her back after so short a time :(

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 am

I'm SO sorry, Thalia! You did so much for him, and he certainly enjoyed his last days - good company, great food and lots of attention.

Hilary

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:47 am

Oh, crap. Poor little guy.

I guess it's natural that you don't want Andie anymore, either. Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:34 am

hi thalia
thats a real shame..but there is not a lot you can do if a bird is going light....i am sure you will do what you feel is the best thing to do

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 pm

WELL, I talked with my b/f about it and he said that we might as well try another finch and see what happens. He mostly just doesn't want me getting a parrotlet or budgie since he doesn't like noisy birds, although parrotlets aren't noisy, but he thinks they're too expensive. ANYWAYS, I called the pet shop and they had male zebras in so I went down, and unfortunately they had only normals, and 1 fawn, I wanted the fawn but the lady had a really hard time catching one so I just got the first male she grabbed and he's a normal. I think Alfred was a lot sicker than I thought, this new male sings a song I've never ever heard before, it's really pretty and gets Andie all excited, so I think maybe Alfred wasn't doing as well as I hoped. Now I need ideas for names for the newbie too. Here's some pics of the new little man:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o265 ... G_0197.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o265 ... G_0195.jpg

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:46 pm

if he is singing he is happy..how about alfred 2 or alfredo

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm so very sorry to hear Alfred passed away. :cry: It was just more than is little body could endure. You may have had him only a short while, but you gave Alfred the life he should have had all along.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Raven85
Pip
Pip

Post by Raven85 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:07 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss...the loss of any pet is hard on anyone..but you gave him the best care & love that he's probebly ever had..
As far as naming your new little man..it may seem calous but I dont think you should name him after alfred myself..as this would only remind you of your loss...isnt there a cartoon or old tv show called "Amos & Andy"..even though you spell her name as *andie...it would work..lol..just a thought

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:54 pm

oh I wouldn't name him after Alfred, that's kinda morbid, especially since they look so similar. I was thinking Amos too, but wasn't Amos and Andy both males? Oh well, I'll talk w/ the b/f about it and see what he thinks. I think I'm glad I decided to do this instead of giving Andie away, I always say pets should be forever and now these guys will be, hopefully.

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your little one, but I am glad you are keeping your survivor. I wondered about sending back my other bleu when the male bleu died, mainly because I didn't want to lose another animal. I kept my female bleu and added a society finch. They get along great and they are so much easier than I thought. I don't feed much regular food at all. They eat pellets, seed mix and millet (occasionally) and seem to be healthy.