Trimming Nails

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
societyspice
Hatchling
Hatchling

Trimming Nails

Post by societyspice » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:45 pm

I was just wondering if anyone here trims their finches' nails by themselves (i.e. without a second person to help hold) and, if so, how do you go about doing it? I always have to have a my roommate help me as I don't think I'd be able to hold and position my bird's leg to trim the nails.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:02 pm

Yeah, I've done all my birds myself at least once. The most difficult were the Strawberries as they are so tiny!
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:36 am

I do it all the time. You can hold the bird in the palm of your hand and use your fingers to hold the leg/toe in question. I always get right under a bright light so I can see the quick. I have several birds who need to be trimmed frequently, and I just try to get it over with as quickly as possible!

Hilary

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:55 am

Oh yes, good light is a must. And have the styptic powder nearby just in case.
With practice it gets easier. I find it difficult to hold the bird tight enough to keep it from escaping, but not too tightly you injure it. If you can get the bird to grip one finger of the hand you are holding it with, it is easier to clip. Other wise they want to curl them up! There is a nice nail clipping video demonstrating how to do it properly... I'll see if I can find it again.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:58 am

TammieB.

societyspice
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by societyspice » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:51 pm

tammieb wrote:Oh yes, good light is a must. And have the styptic powder nearby just in case.
If you can get the bird to grip one finger of the hand you are holding it with, it is easier to clip. Other wise they want to curl them up!
Thanks for that tip. I never thought about that! Also, thanks for the video. It is very helpful. :)