Injured canary.

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Injured canary.

Post by tammieb » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:53 pm

I came home this noon to find my favorite canary hen hopping around on the floor of the indoor aviary. I caught her up in the net and examed her. Sadly, she has a broken wing. I have moved her into a hospital cage with heat and placed her water & seed down low. What else can I do for her?

I can't imagine how she could have broken it. All the birds get along. No fights, no chasing, nothing that would explain this accident. I checked on them this morning before leaving for work and everyone was fine. It was unusually quiet when I came into the house, I thought that was odd.

Any suggestions?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Just leave her be and give it time.

When I had a finch with a broken wing, it was oh I think about a month before she started doing short hopping flights. After that she very gradually improved and eventually became as good a flier as she was before (which ain't saying much).

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:32 pm

I have been reading on the internet about first aid for broken wings. It suggests securing the wing next to the body with vet wrap. What do you think about doing that? I have some, but don't know if it is the correct thing to do.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:08 pm

I'd be afraid to try that on that small of a bird. I'm not so very graceful or coordinated, I'd be afraid of the bird struggling and me doing worse damage.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:20 pm

I've decided against wrapping the wing. WeeGee is alert and eating/drinking/pooping normally. Her wing is a bit droopy but not as bad as yesterday. I have her in a tiny hospital cage so she can't attempt to fly. Her seed & water cups and one perch are down low enough that she can hop onto them. The heat lamp is on around the clock. I don't imagine she will ever be the same and will probably never return to the aviary. But she can have a good life despite her bad wing.
TammieB.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:00 am

Tammie -

I'm so sorry to hear about the wing. She sounds like she's doing well, though, and who knows? Hopefully she'll end up making a full recovery.

Hilary

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm happy to report that after eight days in the hospital cage, Weegee is doing great. I believe I will move her back to the aviary tomorrow. Evidently the wing was just badly bruised. Thanks to all who expressed their concern.
TammieB.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:43 pm

Yea! Thanks for sharing the good news - glad it's not broken!

Hilary

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:13 pm

hi tammie
that great news

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much