society with hurt leg

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
ocalona
Hatchling
Hatchling

society with hurt leg

Post by ocalona » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi, guys, it's Donna again, with a problem. When I got up this morning (late, as I worked till 11 pm), I noticed one of my juvenile societies was sitting on the food dish in a strange position. On closer inspection I could see his leg was caught between the cage bar & the dish. I've got him in the hospital cage with a canary nest, food & water & a heat lamp. I've got the cage sitting next to the big one with his siblings so he won't be so lonely. The leg is bruised red & hangs, I'm sure it's broken. Also his wing seems to be injured somewhat on the same side, probably from flapping to try & get loose. At first he wanted to try to fly around but now he's sitting in the nest fairly calm. I know that birds don't show pain as much & I'm sure his leg must be painful. It looks as though the circulation was cut off some time to the foot so I fear it might rot & fall off. I'm so hoping he won't die from shock. Does any one have any suggestions? I do have a lot of birds (32) but they are all special to me & I hate to lose any of them. Sorry for the long post.

Finchlet
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Finchlet » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:56 pm

Hello,
I just had almost the same thing happen to me. My male zebra got his toe caught in between where two walls of the cage bars come together. Like your bird, he also damaged his wing, flapping to try and free himself. The wing is not broken, but all the flight feathers had fallen out. They seem to be re-growing, but his toe isn't fairing so well. HIs toe had been pinched flat. Its been a few days, and now theres no doubt that its going to fall off. The area above it is angry and red, and he won't stand on that foot anymore, so I started him on some antibiotics. I'm not really sure how to tell if the leg is going to recover or not. Sometimes its obvious, other times you have to wait and see. The little guy could certainly live without a leg. Best thing would be to have the vet look at him. If the leg is too badly damaged, the vet could remove it and minimize the chance of infection. Other than that, you could splint the leg with tape, but keep an eye out for signs of infection. Hope this helps. Hope your little guy gets well!

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:51 pm

hi
the problem with societies is there claws grow so fast and turn in to sickle shapes that they are extremely prone to catching themselves on bars and nesting material ..the only way to prevent these accidents is to trim the claws regularly otherwise this sort of thing will not stop happening...i dont mean to be brutal with this post but with birds you have to look at all the pitfalls before you even put them in a cage or before you even buy them as they are so fragile they cannot see the danger..but we can i have been in my birdroom sometimes and been lucky to find a society just fly out of the nest and catch its claw on the lip of the nest and unhooked it before anything serious happened

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your little Society. :(

It sounds like you have him set up in a proper hospital cage. Keep a close eye on that leg. If it begins to turn black you should probably amputate it to save the bird from additional suffering while waiting for it to drop off.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

ocalona
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ocalona » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Ken, it wasn't his claw that got caught, it was his whole foot. Also, he's a juvie, his claws are not that long. I appreciate the advice but this is NOT my fault. I have a tendency to beat myself up when something goes wrong with one of my babies but not this time. This was a freak accident. The food dish sits extremely tight to the cage bars so I have no idea how he got his foot caught.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:59 pm

No matter how careful you are, accidents do happen. :(
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 pm

Sorry about your little guy :cry:

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:29 am

hi ocolana
i am in no way blaming you for it...just generalizing on the pitfalls that happen despite trying all the time to keep your birds safe these things happen and to everyone not just you or me sorry if you thought i was implying it was your fault

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much