Zebra skin inflamation

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Zebra skin inflamation

Post by queenb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:24 pm

About 6 weeks ago, I noticed my zebra had a small bleeding, blister-like sore, near her beak, that had scabbed over. I took her to the bird shop to confirm she didn't have parasites of some form..he said she was clean. It healed, although the small pinkish lump remained. Six weeks later, it has broken open again, the inflamation has enlarged five-fold down behind her neck, and has cracked open at the beak (bleeding) again. The matted feathers are due to Neosporin (applied daily), which was recommeded when the sore first festered. She is in the sick cage, with marvel aid instead of water, and none of the other birds exhibit these symptoms.I'm concerned she is in pain. I would be so grateful for any insight.

http://members.cox.net/bkcarman/PICT0004.JPG/
http://members.cox.net/bkcarman/PICT0005_edited.JPG/

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:54 pm

I have no idea what the problem could be. Tried to view your photos but the links aren't working.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

corrected links

Post by queenb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:19 pm

Thank you for letting me know my links were a problem. This if my first time posting images!

http://members.cox.net/bkcarman/myzebra
http://members.cox.net/bkcarman/PICT0004.JPG

Finchlet
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Finchlet » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Could zebra finches get avian pox? That's what came to my mind when I saw the picture. Poor little thing, I hope she gets better!

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Post by queenb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:01 pm

Thank you so much for your concern and thoughts on the subject. I did a little research on avian pox....boy, that would be the pits if that is what it is (considering how contagious it is). I wonder how long it would take to show up in the other zebras..or the fact it hasn't can eliminate this as a potential cause, well, let's hope I hear from others with a
less ominous prognosis ~

At this informative site, the physical description is similiar, but the symptoms aren't (weakness, emancipation, swallowing problems.)http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html(In case my link doesn't work: Dept. of Natural resources, Michigan, avian pox)
Initially, this form of pox appears as a small white, pink or yellow vesicle (blister) on unfeathered parts of the skin (feet, legs, base of the beak, eye margins and head). The vesicle is a result of the separation of the surface layer of the skin with the formation of pockets of watery fluid rich in multiplying virus. The vesicles become nodules as they increase in size, coalesce and burst. Lymph from the cells congeals and scabs are formed. The surface of the nodules become rough and dry and the color changes to dark brown or black.

Finchlet
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Finchlet » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:15 pm

I don't mean to say thats what it is. I just wonder if it's a possibility, thats all. I didn't mean to alarm you. :oops: Last winter alot of the outside birds had pox and house finch disease, so I had to be really careful and wash my hands after cleaning and refilling the wild bird feeders. I think it is also spread be mosquitos if I remember correctly.
You're right I think, that's probably not what it is. I should have done a bit more research about it before mentioning it. Sorry.... :(

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:31 pm

You need to ask Crystal about this. I would pm her as she may not stop by the forum again for a few days.

Poor lil' bird. :(
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Post by queenb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Finchlet...No apology necessary!!! I'm looking at any potential causes!! And now I better understand avian pox!! Thank you again for your concern. Bridget

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

A trip to the vet!

Post by queenb » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:36 pm

Thank you all for your help! I took my zebra to the vet today and his conclusion was the same as you bright and talented bird enthusiasts. Thank you Finchlet and Crystal. After doing some research of his own, he validated your opinion. It is most likely cutaneous pox.

For those interested, he stated that the virus is from a mosquito bite. Available vaccinations are manufactured for canaries, cross species effectiveness/adverse symptoms unknown. He said to let it run its course.

She isn't contagious to the rest of the flock, but molted prematurely from being in the warm house!! I put her back with her mate anyway (still a little cool here in LA) and they are sooo happy.

Finchlet
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Finchlet » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Yea! I'm so glad she is going to be alright! :D

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Nature ran its' course

Post by queenb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:24 pm

Sorry to say, all our energy wasn't enough to save my little bird...although appearing to eat, drink, etc. she got restless, looked as though she was having trouble regulating her body temperature (in spite of the heat lamp) and died during the night last week. She sure was a trooper.

Thank you all again for your help and words of encouragement.

Finchlet
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Finchlet » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:17 pm

:cry: I'm sorry about your little bird.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Sorry your hen didn't make it. She put up a good fight though.

Was she able to move away from the heat lamp?
TammieB.