My Male Cordon Blue is acting weird

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
tidnab42
Pip
Pip

My Male Cordon Blue is acting weird

Post by tidnab42 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:10 am

Here it is a few hours before bedtime and I notice my male Cordon Blue is puffy and shaking. I refreshed all the water and foods and he ate, I put the heat lamp on , (it's the black light kind) and the pair are sitting together under the warmth. It's not cold here. I have no idea what else to do. I have no idea what is wrong so suddenly.
We love our cordon's.... They were singing a couple hours ago.
They are isolated from everyone else, cage and all. What else should I do?
If he dies, is it ok to put the Hen with societies?
This is awful....
Could use suggestions.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:13 am

As you have done, adding heat is the biggest thing you can do for now - you want to raise the temp inside the cage to 80-90 degrees F (use a reptile thermometer to know if the cage is warm enough). You also want to make sure there are plenty of 'yummy' foods (like spray millet and other favorite foods) within easy reach because eating will help maintain energy. You can even try giving gatorade (or another source of electrolytes) in addition to, or in place of, the water.

The next best thing to do is bring them to a vet who will see birds, if there is one available to you and if it is feasible. Without veterinary intervention, your options are pretty limited to simply providing supportive care (heat, electrolytes). Unfortunately, once birds show obvious signs of illness, they are often very very ill and may not be able to be saved, though seeing a vet is your best shot for treating them.

If he does not make it, you will need to keep the hen separate for a while in a quarantine situation to make sure she is not also sick. If she does not develop signs of illness, she will probably be fine to be housed with the society finches.

Good luck and I hope your male improves! Sorry that he is ill.

tidnab42
Pip
Pip

Seems a wee bit better

Post by tidnab42 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:37 am

I read up last night about some things and I put a towel over the cage and kept them warm. He is singing this morning. But still slightly puffy.
Yes... Fresh millet was put in there and he seems a wee bit better. I have to work all day, so I will keep fingers crossed today and tomorrow get him to a vet.

thanks for suggestions.

tidnab42
Pip
Pip

Recovering

Post by tidnab42 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:10 pm

I'm a newbie and it shows... Thankfully my Cordon is recovering. My remedies of warmth and humidity and such help HER pass the egg. She was eggbound. "I" am humiliated that I didn't know he was a she. I knew I had a pair and we always assumed the one with the blue head is the girl. Not true...

So thanks for the advice and she passed the soft egg today and she seems to be recovering very nicely. Thank Goodness. These are our favorite birdies.

StevePax
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by StevePax » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm glad you sorted it out! The cordon bleus are great!

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:46 am

Sounds like things worked out, and at least now you know.

Time to start providing plenty of calcium in her diet.

Good luck and glad to hear she's recovering!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:10 pm

I have a Strawberry hen that routinely becomes egg bound even though she consumes oyster and egg shells. I would suggest you get some CALCIBOOST. This product has saved my berry hen many, many times.

Glad your CB hen is okay now. :)
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~