Genetic disorder

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
bluefinch
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Genetic disorder

Post by bluefinch » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:58 pm

My male shafttail will often twist his neck around so that his head is facing backwards and looking up. He doesn’t keep his head fixed in that position he just dose it real quick. I have read a few articles (I think someone may have posted on here before) about a genetic disorder that causes finches to twist there head backwards. Is my shafttails behavior normal or is it some sort of disorder? I have never seen my hen do this that is why I am a little concerned. Maybe I am just being a little bit paranoid. :?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:08 am

I believe you are referring to a post a short time back where someone's bird apparently was suffering from "twirling". Here's a link that explains the conditon.

http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_twirling.mgi

If it's normal behavior, I've never noticed my male shaft-tail doing it.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

bluefinch
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bluefinch » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:45 am

Yeah that is the article I was looking at. He doesn’t go into spasms like the article talks about and he doesn’t loose his balance at all when he twists his head. He just dose it real quick when he lands on a perch or is looking around he twists his head sometimes as if to see what is above him. Do you think it would be safe to assume it is just natural behavior? :?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:55 pm

If he is acting normal otherwise, then I wouldn't worry about it. Could be just a quirk of his. I will watch my Shaft-tail more closely to see if I can catch him doing it to. He does do a funny little hop and chirp when he lands on a perch though. I don't know what that is all about but he does it nearly everytime.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:20 am

How big is their cage? I've read where too small causes some 'twirling' type behavior that went away for one of my male owls when he moved out of the tiny cage.

Carmen
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Carmen » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:05 am

Hi Bluefinch,

I think Sally is probably right. Birds kept in a very small cage can show this behaviour, also when they are in a big one now.
I have seen this a lot with Japanese Nightinggales, and my singer shows it too. I would say nothing to worry about.
Carmen

bluefinch
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bluefinch » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:50 am

The cage he is in is 32"L X 24"W X 26"H so he dose have plenty of room to move. He was in a cage that was a few inches smaller then that for a bit. I guess I just wory to much when it comes to my birds. :wink: I wanted to get others opinions about whether or not it was something I should be concerned about. Thanks for the help. :)

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:01 am

That cage is plenty big enough. :)
TammieB.

vetbridge
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vetbridge » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:53 pm

My gf's male gould does it, but he has always done it and he is 100% fine otherwise. Just a quick little peak up and back.

bluefinch
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bluefinch » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks vetbridge, I saw my hen do the same thing the other day. :D