Juvenile Female Zebra - healing all alone.

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
tidnab42
Pip
Pip

Juvenile Female Zebra - healing all alone.

Post by tidnab42 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:50 am

I have a female White Zebra, she is juvenile. I would say 6 months old.. Everytime I've put her with with some of her siblings they totally beat her up. I'm not doing it again. She almost was pecked to death about 3 weeks ago. She has no tail feathers or butt feathers and her eye was nearly pecked out. I've nursed her back to health and she's all alone in a small cage just healing. Which to my surprise she is. Although she's doing very well, a thought crossed my mind. Can I put her with some babies from another clutch once they are ready to be seperated from the parents?
I have some babies who are about 4 weeks old, they are not ready to be seperated from arent quite yet, but when they are is this a bad idea. I thought the babies would not have aggression issues. These babies are not from her family.

I am happy to report that her eye is healed so nicely. and the tail feathers are coming out and are about 2 cm long. Woo Hoo... So I know she was not pecking herself.
thanks you guys. Let me know your thoughts.

StevePax
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by StevePax » Wed May 02, 2007 8:09 am

I'd say that's a great idea. The babies, as you said, usually don't have aggression issues, so put them together, and she can be sort of like "Auntie" to them, or something. It's certainly worth a shot, especially if she is nicely healed when you put them together.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed May 02, 2007 8:31 pm

You can also try housing her with just one other finch who she seems to get along with. Here are some other things you can try as well:

http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/reduci ... ession.php

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu May 03, 2007 9:42 am

hi tidnab
i am afraid that zebras attacking white zebras is very prevelant as they dont recognise them as thier own with them being all white with no markings of the normal zebra they look like a total forein species to the other adults..if they are in the same nest as others they seem to be accepted,,but for some reason they always seem to be the ones who get the most attacks from thier own species

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much