Mice!

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Mice!

Post by EmilyHurd » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Does anyone else have problems with mice coming around to eat fallen finch food? I just barely caught one and I want to get rid of them!

Does anyone have any tips??

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:43 pm

I didn't have a mouse problem til I got my budgies. Hookbills are very messy and mine throw out things a mouse would find very tempting. Even though I vacumm everyday, the mouse was finding plenty to eat. This was last fall, I placed some poisoned bait in the basement and caught the mouse within the week. Only had the one apparently. :D
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:25 pm

http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/combat ... hp#rodents

Some of the tips there may be useful, depending on your setup

Good luck!

finchmom
Pip
Pip

Re: Mice!

Post by finchmom » Thu May 03, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi Emily,
I thought I had a mouse problem last week. So off I marched to HomeDepot. Purchased 4 sticky traps (husbasnd didnt want me to use bait outside), and guess what? It wasnt a mouse afterall. It was a lizard. I had no idea that lizard poop was so tiny! Anyhow, no more lizard, hopefully no mice either.
Hope this helps!

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Fri May 04, 2007 4:50 pm

hi finchmom
if you dont want to kill them you can buy humane traps where they go in and cant get out...then you take them for a drive and set them free

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

finchmom
Pip
Pip

Mice

Post by finchmom » Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 pm

Hi Ken,
I didnt think of that, its a great idea. We live in a area with a lake and LOTS of rodents, raccoons, rabbits, birds, coyotes, etc, and would sure hate to see something like that get trapped. Where could I get what you're suggesting?
I've got the sticky traps underneath the huge cage in the backyard right now, and that's how the poor lizard got stuck.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed May 09, 2007 6:59 am

hi finchmom
i usually get mine from my local pet shop ..but you should be able to get them from any hardware store i buy the pet chocolate buttons as you can get a large bag for a small price the one i use comes prebaited...there is a link here with the one i use like a large bulldog clip..but you can buy the ones that fit over an old cat food tin

ken

http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Mice-c-235.html
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much