Lost my Cordon Bleu hen last nght.

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Ah, sorry to hear about your hen!
Hilary

rogerswabbit
Pip
Pip

Post by rogerswabbit » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 pm

tammieb wrote:I understand exactly how you feel. They are such lovely birds.

I had never heard my cb sing until he lost his mate. He had 12 other birds in the aviary with him so I wasn't too worried about him getting lonely, but did intend to get him a new mate ASAP. Unfortunately, he passed away awhile back, so no need now. I am thinking of getting another male sometime soon as I would enjoy hearing their song again.

I wouldn't let him go too long without company. Maybe a month at most. They do better with at least one other finch, even if it's not the same species.
thx, i move next month to VA, so i may just keep one or two of my societies
maybe the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

ocalona
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ocalona » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:04 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your hen. Her poor mate must be so sad!

StevePax
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by StevePax » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:10 am

Oh no, more CB losses! I lost my hen just a couple of weeks before Tammie did. My male has remained alone since then. About 3 weeks ago, I also lost one of my OC Waxbills. Well, since then, the CB male and the remaining OC (who knows if it's male or female) have really buddied up - they sleep together, they preen together. I guess I'm going to let them stay together.

Sorry for the loss of you CB!

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:29 am

I love it when they find a new buddy like that!
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:19 pm

So sorry for your loss. Cordon Bleus just must be more delicate than some finches. I have lost my share, and know how you feel. My CB hens are very susceptible to egg binding, but I have learned that a drop of calcium directly in their mouth and some heat seems to pull them thru it. But sometimes with the CBs, you just don't know what happened, find them on the bottom of the cage. One time, I had the shop vacuum on, and when I finished, found a male CB dead on the floor of his cage--guess I had scared him to death, as he was fine when I started!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:36 pm

I'm fairly certain my pair died of old age. I never had a problem with the CB hen being egg bound. She died after a rather stressful day though. I may have been able to save her had I recognized there was a problem.

The male I found dead one morning about four months after the hen died. He apparently just went to sleep in a seed hopper and never woke up.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~