Eye problems

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:41 pm

LOL oh sorry, I named him Alfred. He was named after one of the original owners, it was a joke there were 2 males and the thin one was named after one of his roommates and the fat one was named after him. I didn't think that was very nice so I changed it to Alfred, I call him Fred for short. My b/f doesn't want to get him a friend just in case he up and dies on us, he's been through 3 cagemates already :? I'd like to get him a friend, but I've been wondering about a non-finch bird like a parrotlet or budgie or something small and hand tame. I figured I should get him back to health before I even think about that though... Oh and get him a bigger cage, he's in a 10X14.5" which is too small for him let alone him plus someone else. I'm going to see about boxing day sales for a larger cage or I may try to make one.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:08 am

Yeah the cage is on the smallish side. 30"L x 18"T x 18"D is a good size if you have room for it.

As for a cage mate... a hookbill, (budgie, parrotlet, etc) would not be the best choice for Alfred as they have been known to nip the toes off finches. Housing them together safely can only be done in a large aviary. And even then there is some risk to the finches.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:32 am

hi thalia
you could always rename him jack sparrow :lol: :lol:

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:57 pm

oof 30x18 would be a little big to hang from the ceiling, lol, I'm going to see what I can find though. What if I didn't put another bird in the same cage as him, but in a different cage nearby, would he like that? Then I wouldn't have to worry about the tame bird picking on him. I'd get im a finch friend if I knew how old he was, but I don't, he is at least 3 but since he was an adult when our friends got him we don't know how old he is, and it'd be just my luck to get him a friend and have him drop dead on me :?
lol I thought of Jack Sparrow too, maybe I will if he stays bald :)
I didn't need to clean his eye today, it looks good, he's got a few white feathers at the bottom corner of his bill and a few brown feathers at the back of where his cheek patch should be. I'm hopeful the feathers will fill in :) It looks like he's been preening the remaining feathers, they don't look as crusty as they did. His eye is nice and bright too and he can definitely see out of it now :) I'm so happy he's doing better :D I gave him some shredded, cooked sweet potato and parsnip today, but he hasn't gone for any of it :( he does however LOVE his egg food! He ate another big helping of it this morning for breakfast :D He's been a very nice Christmas present.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:32 pm

Yeah a cage that size would be difficult to hang from the ceiling. But I have done it. He would be okay with a friend in a cage next to his. I understand not wanting to get another finch if you aren't planning on keeping finches once Alfred dies. Though as tough as the little guy is, it might be awhile before he's ready for that! I'm glad he is doing so well and is eating the eggfood. When you have time we'd love to see photo of Alfred now that the eye is doing better.

Have a Merry Christmas!
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:34 pm

yeah I'll have to think about getting him a bigger cage and a friend, if finches were handtame I'd get another one for sure. Although I do really enjoy his singing, so maybe I'll cave and get him another finch friend. Probably another male so I don't end up with finches coming out my ears! :lol:
I'll try to get around to taking pics tomorrow, I have to get into his cage and change his bath water and food and so on tomorrow anyways, so I'll pester him for a picture then too :)
Is it normal for them to beep in the middle of the night? He's all covered and he still sometimes sings at night :?
Merry Christmas to you too!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:19 pm

My Zebs would sometimes beep during the night, but not often. Only when one of them wasn't roosting with the others, then he might call out for them. Alfred is probably lonely. Zebras like to cuddle and another male would be fine with him.
TammieB.

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:32 pm

well tomorrow's the big day! Boxing day that is, so since I don't work until 3 I'm going to get up and head out and see what kind of deal I can get on a new cage. Maybe I'll get him one of those cuddle things they have for birds... that way if I decide to get a different type of bird and put their cages close together then he'll still have something to snuggle. Oh and I also found that he tends to beep more when I blow my nose at night :oops: The boyfriend is napping right now, but hopefully he'll get up soon so I can get some pictures of Alfred, if not I'll take some when I get home from work tonight!

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:09 pm

Finally I have time to post a pic of him. Again he was being very uncooperative so I took a lot of pics and only got 1 fairly usable one. Sorry for the quality, but as you can tell he looks a lot better.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o265 ... G_0109.jpg
This was taken today so 3 days after his last cleaning and he looks pretty darn good if I do say so myself :)
I posted in housing about his new home and girlfriend!
Last edited by Thalia on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:11 pm

He looks fabulous! You should give yourself a pat on the back girl. You did good!!!
TammieB.

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:28 pm

thanks :) It looks like some of the feathers are starting to come back too! Hopefully his new g/f will give him a reason to get his plumage back!

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:54 am

thalia
really well done you should take up a vetinarian course ,he looks really top notch

ken

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:28 am

lol thanks Ken, actually I've been trying to get into vet school but so far haven't been accepted. I've applied twice so far and am applying again this year, hoping that third time's a charm. I do eventually want to become an exotics vet, working with birds and ferrets etc etc :) Alfred is also starting to sprout new feathers! I'm going to wait until they've come in a bit better, then I'll post pictures and you can see how great he looks :)

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:45 am

thats one unexpected xmas present for you and your little friend thalia well done

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:26 pm

Poor little thing!!! I'm glad you are trying so hard. I wonder if his eye was pecked and then became inflammed and infected???