gouldian poop...

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Hope
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

gouldian poop...

Post by Hope » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:34 pm

One of my male gouldians is molting and I've noticed for a couple of weeks his poop is rather large (hugh) compared to the other birds. It"s not waterery. I'm don"t think his poop has ever looked small and regular. Does this indicate a problem :?:

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Does it have all the constituents of a normal poop (urates [the white part], colored stool, some urine)? What color is the stool and are the urates white or a different color? Is there anything undigested in the poop? Does the bird seem to be active, eating well, preening, singing, etc.? Is he spending a fair amount of time in a nest or other activity that may keep him holding his poop? If you are able to easily catch him, does his chest feel bony or full?

Hope
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Hope » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:06 pm

I went to check the paper towel and he was a good boy and pooped for me. :) It wasn't quite as large as I've seen but the stool was brownish and the urate was whiteish, but looked a little slimy. No undigested food in it. I was able to catch him and his chest felt fine. He's been as active as the rest and sings and eats.

A couple of months ago I had him in the hospital cage, I found him hopping around the bottom of the cage and his back was hunched. I read that he probably caught a chill. During that time his poop was whiteish and gooey. After a couple of weeks with warmth and rest he was fine.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:32 pm

If he's acting fine, does not feel skinny, and if the poop has all 3 normal constituents looking normal (allbeit a little larger than usual), there *probably* is not a problem. If I come across anything in my reading on the subject, though, I'll be sure to let you know.

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:38 am

I came across this post and hoped someone could answere a question. Why is it that on some days or different parts of the day when my birds poop the dark part is almost black and at another time brown or green. Is it the different seeds that they are eating or should I be worried they are lacking in somthing?

thanks

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:48 am

Sometimes my finches poop turns green when they eat lettuce and broccoli. It could be diet?? I don't monitor my finches poop as closely as I might need to though.