plucked feathers?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
ImEmma
Pip
Pip

plucked feathers?

Post by ImEmma » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:50 pm

hello, my spice finch has recently looked a little off to me, it seems like the feathers around his bottom have been plucked, or are a little thiner than usual. You can see the pink of his skin when his tail is not covering his bottom. i also noticed a few hair like things that looked like they were hanging from his bottom. the last odd thing i've noticed in that the area under his tail looks a little poofier than usual, (although i'm not sure if this is normal and just more noticable now that he's missing some other feathers. He seems pretty active still, although he may be a little thinner than usual. (i've recently changed their food, from one brand of seeds to another, and i'm going to switch back to the original in case thats the problem.)

if anyone has any insight on this problem PLEASE let me know!!!!

thanks, Emma

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:19 pm

Who are his cagemates? Does he have any pairs in with him? Pairs who are into breeding mode but have no nesting material will often pluck feathers from other birds to make their own nesting material.

ImEmma
Pip
Pip

Post by ImEmma » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:50 pm

he lives with a boy zebra finch and thats it. they seem to like each other, (they sit close and preen each other,) so i'm not sure what's wrong.