one leg lifted

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

one leg lifted

Post by kiwi & mango » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:13 pm

my female gouldian is lifting her one leg quite a bit today. I took them both one monday to get the nails and beaks trimmed and the woman that did them for us told me to put the sandpaper on one perch to keep them trimmed from now on.

Could it be that I put the sandpaper perch on to soon and it is bothering the bottom of the foot. Other then catching the bird and looking what can I look for?

I have never actually handled our birds yet myself and thinking it might be to stressful for her if I do if she is not well....but then again I should learn at sometime.

So what should I be looking for at the bottom or side of her foot to give me some idea of why she is lifting it up when she is perched.

thanks

rottielover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by rottielover » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:22 pm

I've seen a few video's on the internet (I think at least one is on youtube) that demonstrate how to handle your finch in your hands once you've caught it.

Basically you place the head of the finch between your first and middle fingers to hold it's head gently but firmly. Once you have "control" over the finch's head, you can pretty much do anything with them, check wings, trim nails, etc. They will fuss a bit now and then, but just keep your gentle but firm grip and you'll be fine.

Gouldians have "clearish" or "whitish" colored nails, and if you hold them up to a light you can actually see the "quick" (blood vessel) running into the nail.

I just use a regular old fingernail trimmer ($0.30 kind avalible anywhere).

With your finch, it's possible that the foot or leg was injured, but you'd have to examine it to be sure. However, I've noticed that it's fairly normal for a finch to "tuck" one of it's legs up now and again, usually if you move close to the cage to examine the finch closely, s/he will put the foot down on the perch (getting ready to take off basically).

I too was a bit worried about catching the birds after I got my first finch, but after just a little while it became 2nd nature.

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:45 pm

i have never seen her do this before this is why I am a little worried. It is almost 9 pm here so I think I will take her into the bathroom (incase she gets loose) do handle her for the first time. If there are any problems then a smaller area is better then a whole house to try and catch a small bird.

So does anyone know what I should look for? anything a little odd or somthign that I might see but it is suppose to be there...LOL
thanks

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:32 pm

I did't look at the bottom of her feet.... :( I just don't feel comfortable doing it yet. I thought I would wait to see if there is any replies to what to look for or what to do if I see a sore or swelling. I would like to be a little more prepared with treatment there on hand so I wont have to put her through anymore stress of catching her again.

So post if you have any help

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:45 am

Hi
are there any other suggestions to what I might look for on the bottom of kiwi's foot when I have a look somtime today? I am wating to see what some of you have to say before taking a look so that I can be prepared for what I might need to do to help her.

thanks

tursiopschic
Mature
Mature

Post by tursiopschic » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:48 pm

You almost need to take a peek first to see what the problem is. Does she have any trouble gripping with her toes?

If she just had her nails cut, i've noticed that some of mine have sensitivity (especially if the quick was accidentally cut) and seem to lift their legs more for the next day or so. But then it clears up.
~olivia

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:28 pm

hi kiwi
is your bird used to these sandpaper perch covers...because if she is not and you are only doing it because the lady told you to it may not like them at all and it could just be making its feet sore...you could of course cut one of the covers in half so that it only covers half of the perch..these things should be introduced slowly to allow the birds time to adjust

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:33 pm

this is the first time that I have added the sand paper strips to the perch. She has only lifted her leg once or twice today that I have noticed and I am watching closely. I think I will take it off this afternoon when I change the bottom of the cage. I also thought perhaps she had some seeds or dirt in the foot area. I put in a little water in a glass dish to see if she would take a bath and take what ever could be on the bottom off but she hasn't even noticed it there.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:43 pm

hi kiwi
those perch cover are ok when the birds are used to them but its like wearing shoes that dont fit they are not used to the irritation on the base of thier feet if you can lift your bird up and see if under the foot it is sore if it is then that is the cause if you look in the dead centre of its foot between the front claws and the back ones you may see a seed stuck down with poo or dirt or you may just see droppings that have hardened if there is anything there the birds bathhing on their own will not release it you will have to remove it your self with some warm water..if the foot is just sore bath it with a mild disinfectant and take the perch covers off altogether as a lot of birds do not like them...an array of different size perches is much better i think than all the perches being the same size for exersize and keeping thier feet in great condition

ken

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:18 pm

it seems as if taking the sand paper perch out of the cage has done the trick. I noticed that she has not lifted her leg at all since saturday afternoon.

thanks for all that have answered and I will keep reading and learning.

thanks

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:29 am

hi kiwi & mango
she obviously did not like them as much as some birds do,i think its what they are used to!my birds have never had them as i make all my perches square with the corners sanded off and they are softwood and thats the way i have always done my perches so the birds are used to them when they hatch ..with them being softwood the youngsters can grab on easy with thier soft claws and as they get bigger they naturally wrap thier claws round them .i think in some case round perches are to severe for birds feet in a lot of canary show cages the perches are all shapes oval ,round some have grooves cut into the full length of the perch ..why i dont know but each to his own i suppose!

ken

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:34 am

I would strongly discourage the use of sandpaper covers, or any type of sandpaper branch. They really are not good for little finches feet. I would suggest the calcium perches, as they are soft and good for them to wipe their beak on.