Gouldian sick? or what?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Gouldian sick? or what?

Post by kiwi & mango » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 am

My male gouldian......I noticed that most of the white feather ends had left my males face after he finished molting about 3 weeks ago...but the other day I noticed alot on his face agian all from the beak towards his eyes?

He is eating and sleeping like normal...no notice to anything out of the norm for them.

thanks

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:59 pm

I have had that happen--just when you think they are finished molting, pin feathers pop out again. It can drag on for quite some time.

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:16 pm

since I am new to the whole gouldian finch family there is nothing to worry about?

Also are there any signs phically for air sac mites? not that I think he has that but for future reference.... :D
thanks

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 pm

The biggest sign for air sac mites in gouldians that I've noticed is that they will click or make a sneezing type sound, mainly at night. I also notice scaley type stuff on the wings, kind of on the inside of the upper parts of their wing.

kiwi & mango
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by kiwi & mango » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:20 am

Hi
last night I decided to sit closer to them after everyone had gone to bed to see or hear any sound he may be making. He did make a small sound out of his mouth and when I stood up to watch it looked like he had burped and then was chewing his food. I can't say I have ever listened this silently to them to know if this is a sound they both make since she was a sleep already. She goes to bed at about 7:00 and he is a late owl type that goes at about 11:00. So this this the clicking sound? or is he doing what I thought it looked like he was doing?

thanks

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:46 am

there are plenty of birds including budgies that regurgitate food,especially when they are breeding a lot of them if they have a mirror in the cage do this and then try to feed the mirror thinking it is a female or a young bird it does sound like any kind of mite to me maybe he just could not be bothered to go to the seed pot in the dark and brought back some food from his crop

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Finchaholic
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finchaholic » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:02 pm

If your Gouldian has airsac mites it will be quite obvious. He will most likely be sneezing often and possibly breathing with his mouth open. You will hear the "click" with every breath.
Finches are like potatoe chips. You can't have just one.