Egg Binding

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Egg Binding

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:07 am

Layla

Check her bottom to feel if it's bulging outward, and hard, which indicates she is eggbound.

Liquid calcium to the corner of her beak immediately.

Then place her in a hospital cage in your washroom with the shower running hot water to steam up the place. Give her a sitz bath in warm water, and place a warm light over her.

If she is eggbound, then these are things that need to be done whether she likes it or not, or she will die.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Layla
Pip
Pip

Post by Layla » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:54 am

lovezebs thank you so much for replying so quickly, when I opened the cage to move her she successfully flew to the top and is now sitting in the nest, since I can't coax her out I moved the whole cage into the nearest bathroom and but a kettle in there for steam.
I boiled an egg for her since all stores by me are closed, but as soon as they open again in the morning I'll go get some liquid calcium as you suggested.
I tried looking at her bottom to see if it was bulging outward like you said but it doesn't seem to be, for a few seconds it seemed to be pulsing and she defecated and then it returned to normal. She's gone in her nest and is resting with her mate but I'm going to keep them overnight in the bathroom with steam and continue to check on them.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 am

Layla

Sounds like she was not egg bound if her bottom is not bulging, and if she's still with us.

When you have breeding birds, it's always a good idea to have a bottle of Calcium on hand for situations like this.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Blackzeb
Pip
Pip

Post by Blackzeb » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:28 am

Thank you....
Very helpful....
=D>
....<♡●○☆■□◇>.....
I love Zebra finches.....
Own 10 pairs
Have zebra finches mutations Triple B, Orange body, Black breast, Black face, Isabella, Crested, Pied, Normal gray and many more....
Like to breed other mutations...
Own an Alaxander parrot...