Broken Toe

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Murfecat
Pip
Pip

Broken Toe

Post by Murfecat » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:11 pm

I just noticed one of my hens with a black toe, apparently broken. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to see if it needs to be amputated. Someone from another site suggested that it is ok to leave broken toes alone and let them fall off on their own. This sounds rather risky to me but I wondered if it is common practice?

Gwynne

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:34 pm

I've had that happen with my birds, and they do fall off on their own. I'd watch her foot carefully to make sure there's no infection, though.

Good luck!

Hilary

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

swollen nodule on back toe between nail and toe

Post by queenb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:38 pm

This a.m. found my newest bird favoring her leg. It appears she has injured her back toe. The nodule between the toe and the nail seems larger than the other one, somewhat inflamed. I pulled her out (she was new to the flock and young...wonder if the others are the reason?) brought her into the warm house, etc.....

What ultimately happened to your bird's toe?

Does anyone have any ideas? Will isolation and rest from the others due the trick?

Many thanks, queenb

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:35 pm

If your bird is resting quietly then the hospital cage is fine. If she seems stressed by the isolation and is hopping around alot, then I think I would keep her with the other birds. It is possible she got into a little squabble with one of the other birds. The toe might be broken or perhaps she landed to hard or struck it against something and it is only bruised. You will know soon enough which it is.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Post by queenb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks for your insight Tammieb.

She's having trouble gripping the perch and is favoring it..how will I know if it is broken (turns black?) or just bruised?

My husband says I need to buy goldfish instead of birds! (tongue in beak :roll: )