What could be the cause for this?!?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

What could be the cause for this?!?

Post by tammieb » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:12 pm

Crystal,

Please take a look at this poor bird. What do you think could be wrong? It is a 2 year old zebra hen. Eating and acting normal, although I don't see how that could be possible. It makes my butt ache just looking at the photo!

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:29 pm

From here it looks like a prolapse, probably uterine. In other words, her uterus (or another tubular part of her oviduct) has turned inside out and is protruding through the cloaca and out of her vent. It is possible to fix but requires immediate action. If this bird's owner has an avian vet nearby, his/her best bet is to take this hen to see the vet. She will probably need antibiotics (Baytril) as part of her treatment which can only be prescribed at the correct dosage by a vet.

The vet will assess the problem and if it is a uterine prolapse and the tissue is still vital, flush the tissue with sterile saline to clean it off and then use a small cotton-tipped applicator which has been heavily lubricated in sterile, water-based lubricant (such as sterile KY jelly) to gently push the uterus back into the cloaca and through the vagina into its natural position. Sometimes the vet will put a loose suture across the vent to prevent reoccurance of the prolapse, while still allowing feces to pass. It would be best to not allow this hen to breed in the future as oviductal prolapse is most often a complication of egg binding or straining to lay an egg. Diet and husbandry become really important here, as egg binding is often the result of poor nutrition or poor husbandry. This hen would probably benefit from calcium and vitamin A among other nutrients added to her diet if she survives the prolapse correction.

It could be a different tissue prolapsing through (like just the cloaca), or not a prolapse at all (i.e. it could be a tumor, though I still think it looks most like a prolapse). Either way she should see a vet.

Let me know what comes of this, and good luck!!

-Crystal
Last edited by Crystal on Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:49 pm

Crystal,

The owner of this bird can't afford to take it to a vet, if one were available. He wants to know what would be the best way to put this bird down, as he doesn't want to see it suffer any longer.

Thanks!!!

TammieB.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:28 pm

Before he decides to put the bird down, he should try calling a vet in the area and explain the situation. Some vets are willing to 'adopt' the bird from the owner and treat it at their own expense. Vets also provide the most humane method of euthanasia (anesthetic overdose or otherwise).

http://animalwelfare.ucdavis.edu/public ... thpolt.pdf (scroll down to Table 1 and beyond) is a document which covers "humane" methods of poultry euthanasia, but not all of them are practical methods for individuals without the proper equipment or training.

If it were me, I'd have a vet put the bird down. Any vet can do it--it does not have to be an avian vet. He could even call a few vets to find one that might be willing to do it inexpensively or even for free. I would not feel comfortable trying to put the bird down at home, since it is difficult to guarantee that you will do it humanely, and also difficult to find a method which is both humane and safe to you. Electrocution and the use of CO2, for instance, can be hazardous to human health if not handled properly.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:46 pm

Tammie,

Do you think the person who took this photograph would be willing to let me use it on my website?

Please have him e-mail me (info@finchinfo.com) if he would be open to donating the photograph. I would just need his written permission and also whatever information he would like to go along with the photo (e.g. his name) so credit may be given.

I would appreciate it very much! I really hope he's able to find a humane solution for his hen. Hopefully a vet will be willing to treat it or at least euthanize her affordably.

-Crystal

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:49 pm

I will pass along your reply. I once had a zebra hen that was poorly. I took her to the vet to be euthanized. She was an old bird and I felt she was near the end of her life and didn't want to see her suffer. I agree he should do this also. It's a small cost to pay for peace of mind.

Thanks for helping out!

TammieB.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:20 pm

Crystal wrote:Tammie,

Do you think the person who took this photograph would be willing to let me use it on my website?

Please have him e-mail me (info@finchinfo.com) if he would be open to donating the photograph. I would just need his written permission and also whatever information he would like to go along with the photo (e.g. his name) so credit may be given.

I would appreciate it very much! I really hope he's able to find a humane solution for his hen. Hopefully a vet will be willing to treat it or at least euthanize her affordably.

-Crystal

He (Kyle) requested your email so he can send you the original photos. You should be getting them soon.

Tammie

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:25 pm

Thank you, Tammie. I really appreciate it.

-Crystal (info@finchinfo.com)