HELP! GS with broken leg!

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
KarenB
Proven
Proven

Re: HELP! GS with broken leg!

Post by KarenB » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:00 pm

SBAnderson wrote: ...Oh, and one of the first topics I read here was the story of Annie the owl finch. She is an inspiration! :)
Awww.....that's sweet. Annie is my hero!
KarenB

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm

That's wonderful news on the not-dangling leg!

Agreed with Finchmix22.
I'd give antibiotics for a few days if there was blood present.
The stress of the injury is quite taxing on his body, so that's going to leave him very prone to infection.

Hopefully it was just a dislocation or sprain! That would be lucky!

One time, one of my spice finches had a frightening abnormality. The leg was out at a really abnormal angle. I thought it had broken at the hip.

He couldn't get around at all; the foot kept getting caught.
It looked really awful. I knew I'd have to put him down. So I called and got an immediate appointment.

I got off the phone with the vet and I got out the carrier.
I'd already started tearing up over it.
I went to collect him and the leg popped back into place!
I don't recall whether he held it up for a while or used it straight away, but he was fine! He lived for another 6 years!

I've learned over the years to never give up on these little guys.
I don't give up until they do. (And even then, I don't give up because in the moment, a severe illness/injury can make death seem like a fairly good option!)
I figure they only have one life. I try to help them live it up. :)
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

SBAnderson
Pip
Pip

Post by SBAnderson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:28 am

Hi, everyone! It's been almost 3 years since I last wrote, and I'm happy to say that my little boy GS is doing just fine! I am so grateful for all of your help here. It appears that he ended up losing a toe from his accident, but other than that you would never know it happened. I have four Green Singers in two cages (M-F and M-F) and I must admit he is my favorite. One of my females has lost all of her breast feathers, and I'm not sure whether she's going through a moult, or if it's (eek) mites. I don't see any mites in the cage, but I think I'll treat for it anyway. Is that a good idea?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:17 pm

SBAnderson Glad to hear your little guy did fine. It wouldn't hurt to treat for mites. If the hen is missing breast feathers, could she be in breeding mode and plucking herself for feathers to make a nest? Or could her mate be doing the same?
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

SBAnderson
Pip
Pip

Post by SBAnderson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Oh my! Yes! I think she very well may be in breeding mode. She has been sitting in the seed dish, and he has been feeding her a lot. Thank you! I'm going to find my nest basket and nesting material. Maybe we'll have little ones! I really don't think it's mites. Thank you! I'll post again if and when something happens! :lol:

SBAnderson
Pip
Pip

Post by SBAnderson » Tue May 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Well, last year and the one before, we had lots of eggs but no babies. She kept laying them in the seed dish. I put a closed and an open nesting box in the cage, along with nesting material. She still preferred the seed dish, so I put an extra one in the cage. But no, she kept on using the one with seeds in it. So I put an extra one with seeds in the cage. After many eggs, and some cannibalism, the laying stopped. Whew! Nothing this year, though.
My little guy who got his leg caught back in 2014 is still going strong. He has a female companion, and the two are doing great.
My other little male in the other cage is, I am afraid, at the end of his long life. He is on the bottom of the cage with his eyes closed, gasping with each breath. He looked fine last night and this morning. I don't know if there is anything I can do. I really don't think it's ASM, I did not see any symptoms of it prior. I have offered him water, but don't want to risk him breathing it in. :(