Lost my Cordon Bleu hen last nght.

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Lost my Cordon Bleu hen last nght.

Post by tammieb » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:35 am

Yesterday afternoon I caught all 13 birds in my aviary to trim claws and change out some perches. This past evening, before lights out, I checked on everyone and thought they were all fine. Evidently I wasn't looking close enough, cause I later discovered my CB hen dead on the floor of the aviary.

While watching tv last evening I heard a bird on the bottom of the aviary but assumed it was my Shaft-tail hen cause she has a bad wing and often spends the night on the floor. But a few hours later, while getting ready for bed, I walked past the birdroom and noticed the shaft-tail hen sitting in her usual roosting place. In the faint light I could make out a bird on the floor. I go get a flash light and shine in to see which one it is. When the bird didn't move I quietly went in, the bird still didn't move. I then felt like someone had punched me in the stomach... I still do. For me, losing a bird unexpectedly like this is worse than having one become ill and then die.

I'm guessing she was either injured or very stressed by the day's activities... probably both. It's now 2:30 am, four hours since I discoved the dead bird and I'm again telling myself their claws had to be trimmed, I'd put it off as long as I dared. So I guess this couldn't have been avoided... or could it?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:11 am

So Sorry for your loss.
Thank you,
Tina

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:00 pm

This is the downside of keeping finches. It hurts when they croak, and you always end up second-guessing yourself.

Look at it this way -- if you hadn't trimmed her nails she may have got a foot caught and given herself a heart attack trying to get free. Then you'd feel REALLY bad knowing that you should have trimmed nails.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:44 pm

Yes, I realize this is part of keeping birds. I have been very fortunate in that I have lost very few birds over the years, so this for me was a reality check. I've discovered that you can read about other people losing birds and offer sympathy and words of encouragement and so forth, but when it happens to you it is a bit of a shock. I know I was doing the right thing but as you said, it's difficult to not second guess yourself.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:56 pm

Very sorry, Tammy

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:03 pm

Ah, Tammie, I'm sorry. There are SO many things that could have happened to her. I've lost just one hen like that, but I know what a shock it can be. You stand there going "what the heck?!"

Hilary

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:27 am

Thanks everyone.
TammieB.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:37 pm

I'm sitting here checking mail, visiting the forums and listening to my birds. I hate the reason for it but must admit that I'm enjoying my CB's song. He is singing his little head off... poor lil' guy. :(
TammieB.

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm so sorry. . . I lost one of my bleus not too long ago and it is not easy. You did what you had to do to take care of your birds. I worry about doing anything because I'm afraid it will scare them to death, but we do have to take care of them.

My bleu has started singing since the other bleu died. Even with the society finch in the cage, he/she still sings. It's a sweet little song and I figure that it's been singing for so long now, that maybe it's not just mourning anymore.

dearbhail
Pip
Pip

sorry

Post by dearbhail » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:12 pm

very sorry for your loss Tammy

dearbhail

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:07 pm

Well I finally located a pet shop that has, or will have, Cordon Bleu hens. I was in the shop today and they had two males. I would have sworn one of them was a hen, but the store owner was positive they were both males. SO, I have to wait til the first week in December and he should have some hens in stock. Yippee! My little CB guy will be so happy! They cost $54, not too bad a price IMO.
TammieB.

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:34 pm

I think it is a decent price as well. Good for you! Congrats.
Thank you,
Tina

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:45 pm

Here in the DC area they are $90 each, so that's a GREAT price! Your little guy will be so happy!

Hilary

rogerswabbit
Pip
Pip

Post by rogerswabbit » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:29 pm

Just lost my hen late last night. :cry: She was fine in the morning but when I checked on them (CB pair and Societies) last night before bed she was on hte bottom of the cage like she was sleeping, but alas she had died. No blood or trama that I could disern. :? I plan on giving away my societies this weekend and was planning on keeping the CB pair, but now my male CB will be all alone. He is already singing for his mate. My question is how long before I need to replace his mate or put another finch in there? Or will he be fine for a while?
thxI
maybe the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:34 pm

I understand exactly how you feel. They are such lovely birds.

I had never heard my cb sing until he lost his mate. He had 12 other birds in the aviary with him so I wasn't too worried about him getting lonely, but did intend to get him a new mate ASAP. Unfortunately, he passed away awhile back, so no need now. I am thinking of getting another male sometime soon as I would enjoy hearing their song again.

I wouldn't let him go too long without company. Maybe a month at most. They do better with at least one other finch, even if it's not the same species.
TammieB.