My little girl died this morning...I don't know why...

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:49 pm

So sorry to hear about the death of your gouldian hen. It is sad when we lose one and even more so when it happens suddenly, without knowing the cause.

I would guess that the maid did indeed use some type of cleaning product near the cage and your bird couldn't handle it. It 's good that you have switched out the water and seed. I suggest you clean the entire cage to remove any residue the cleaning products may have left. The mist from cleaning products can drift quite a distance.

Would it be possible to move the bird to your bedroom and have that room be off limits to the maid, thus saving the bird from being exposed in the future?

TammieB.

alwaysfullofjoy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by alwaysfullofjoy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:08 pm

I'm sorry to hear you lost your hen as well. How awful. :cry:
April, Ugly, & Monster (The Starlings)

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:09 pm

Perhaps your mil now feels bad that your bird was killed and will be more willing to let you know ahead of time when the maid is due to arrive. The maid herself should be told not to use cleaners around the birds. It would take little effort on her part to pick the cage up and move it to another room while she cleans their area. Just common sense actually. If you have your heart set on keeping the male then I would wait to see if they have learned their lesson and only when you are sure the birds will be safe from the maid, then get him a new mate.

TammieB.