Health

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Diana R
Pip
Pip

Health

Post by Diana R » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 pm

The diet I have on our society finch, are the seeds with vitamins, calcium shavings, millet, and broccoli florets. It seems every month, our finch will bleed from its butt! He/she acts normal, tried different fruits but it doesn't seem to like/eat. The blood seems to be mixed with its poop, unfortunately, there is no vet to check it out near here! Could too much broccoli or millet do it? And if so , how do I know the proper amount? Any info would be appreciated!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Health

Post by Fraza » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi I'm not sure but I give mine normal mixed finch seeds and about once a week add either cabbage or broccoli stuff like that then when I set them up for breeding I start giving them egg shells small amount then when I've seen them breed I give them boiled egg and abit of shell abit 2 times a week until chicks hatch then I give them boiled egg and bits of cabbage everyday until they fledge
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:30 pm

And I have 6 society's by the way :D
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Diana R

Since this happens regularly, it is unlikely to be a random injury. The diet you give them seems okay, though you should provide boiled, scrambled, or powdered egg (1-3 times a week for nonbreeding birds, every day for breeding or moulting ones). Colored orange or red food can change the color of the poop, but the timing indicates that this is not the issue.

Females straining to pass large eggs may get vent bleeding occasionally, though it is uncommon. I think I also heard of someone who had a male bird that would get hemorrhoids and minor vent bleeding during breeding season. I can't remember who, though...

Do you have a photo of the poop and the bird's vent?

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Give him broccoli once a day. Not sure how to upload pic from my tablet

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:15 pm

This USB what I give mine but that's for 3 breeding pairs and 2 females
Attachments
IMG_3652.JPG
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Diana R

Like Icearstorm mentioned, it could be food dye coloring in the finch seed mix, especially dyed oats or pellets.

If I mix my finches seed with wheat grass, they will have such green poop that will make you think they are gonna die of bacteria :shock: ......but its just the color of the wheatgrass powder. #:-S

I have a society that loves red dyed oats, and his poops looks bloody, and alas so does his mouth, and the water he soaks them in turns pink.....but its just the dye.

Pellets in commercial seed mix almost always have green or red dyes added that will be pooped out.

Look at seed mix and anything with "color" other than a normal seed will reflect in the poopie.

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:56 pm

It seems to happen every month, and him/her bathing in his bath seems to relieve! Its blood tho!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:01 am

Diana R

Cut the vitamins down to 2-3 times a week (they dont need them daily), and switch the broccoli to swiss chard or spinach given once or twice a week and see if that helps.

It seems your finch is still healthy and alive as it was 3 months when you first posted.

See if that helps.

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Thanks!