Can a Geriatric(?), “Widowed” Z Finch Live on her Own?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
LesLu13
Pip
Pip

Can a Geriatric(?), “Widowed” Z Finch Live on her Own?

Post by LesLu13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:47 pm

I’m starting this thread from where I left off on my previous one, “Zebra Finch Over-Preening/Plucking her Sister.” http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 33#p431033
This past Sunday morning (Oct 29), I very unexpectedly lost one of my two beloved Zebras.

So looking at everything I’ve said in my last post on my previous thread: do any of you have experience with looking after one zebra finch after his/her mate died? Do you think it’s not only possible for me to do so, but for me to be successful in keeping my surviving finch happy and healthy? I hate the thought of her being lonely without her sister, but I'm also unsure about getting another finch when she’s already 4 (since their lifespans can be anywhere from 4 years to upwards of 10). I’d really appreciate suggestions.
Right now she isn’t eating/drinking or “meep”-ing very much, but it’s a comfort to see at least she is eating/drinking/meeping a little, especially so soon after her sister’s passing.

Thank you :)

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Can a Geriatric(?), “Widowed” Z Finch Live on her Own?

Post by Sheather » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi, four is young for a zebra finch. They can live to be twelve, and I know someone with three who are almost ten. I would try to get another companion for it - another female zebra.

While a bird can be kept alone, its quality of life is greatly reduced as these are such social animals.
~Dylan

~~~

LesLu13
Pip
Pip

Post by LesLu13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi Dylan,
Thank you for your response. :)

The reason I've been so-so about getting another finch, aside from the fact it's so soon after Lesley's passing, is because I've always understood the life span of domesticated Zs to be about 5 years. However, I have heard of some living to be 10 (isn't the record right now for a Z 14 or 15?) and so I suppose I've been worried that if the avg lifespan IS as young as 5 years, I would have a brand-new finch in need of a mate after Lulu passes, which I've been thinking is going to happen soon because of what I believed the lifespan to be.

That said...I would have no problem bringing a new finch into the family, especially to help Lulu. If they really do live longer than 5 years -- I had no intentions of owning zebra finches, but then one day in 2013 I found myself bringing home my 2 little girls so I've only learned about them as I went along -- then I certainly wouldn't be as reluctant to get another one. The thing is, though, since I (and prob. Lulu as well) would prefer to have another Z as opposed to, say, a society finch, how could I find one close in age to 4-year-old Lulu when most pet stores (which is where my girls came from) sell them as babies? I know of no rescue operations in my area (which as mentioned is a reason I'd be quite hesitant to give Lulu up for adoption) or of anyone near me who breeds Zs/has any that are in need of a home. You can tell I became an owner with literally no Finch knowledge. :?
Lulu: b. summer 2013
Lesley (Lulu's sister): summer 2013 - Oct-29-17 (suspected cardiac and/or respiratory abnormality)
Peggie: [Nov '16-Feb '17] - Mar-9-18 (peritonitis/septicemia resulting from eggbinding)
I miss my sweet babies </3

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Sheather wrote: Hi, four is young for a zebra finch. They can live to be twelve, and I know someone with three who are almost ten. I would try to get another companion for it - another female zebra.

While a bird can be kept alone, its quality of life is greatly reduced as these are such social animals.
Social animals :-O

To be honest Dylan I really wouldn't of said that,

What about yer recent thread about not wanting zebras anymore ( zebras are not for me ) :-?? because of their repetitiveness of bickering and bullying against one another :roll:

For keeping zebras on there own there shouldn't be any problems with this as many of me champion zebra finch freinds keep the majority of their zebras all singly in single stock cages within their birdrooms,

The zebras always seem to cause problems when you've got 3,4 or 5 birds housed together,
Zebras obviously can be kept together but need to be very carefully monitored, a pair kept together is generally ok but even then still need to be watched as the moods can change quite rapidly, 2 hens together should under normal circumstances be ok aswell

At one time I used to have various zebras of all colours etc that I used to keep with me foreign birds but have now completely given em up because of the very reasons above, just to temperamental and unpredictable for my liking.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:30 pm

Stuart whiting wrote:
Sheather wrote: Hi, four is young for a zebra finch. They can live to be twelve, and I know someone with three who are almost ten. I would try to get another companion for it - another female zebra.

What about yer recent thread about not wanting zebras anymore ( zebras are not for me ) :-?? because of their repetitiveness of bickering and bullying against one another :roll:

For keeping zebras on there own there shouldn't be any problems with this as many of me champion zebra finch freinds keep the majority of their zebras all singly in single stock cages within their birdrooms.
They are still very social animals Stuart, which appreciate each other's company and for whom a social bond is very important. They are simply social in a capacity than be difficult to accommodate in small cages, particularly when keeping two males together, due to territoriality which would not be an issue in a larger enclosure or the wild.
~Dylan

~~~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Sheather wrote:
Stuart whiting wrote:

For keeping zebras on there own there shouldn't be any problems with this as many of me champion zebra finch freinds keep the majority of their zebras all singly in single stock cages within their birdrooms.
They are still very social animals Stuart, which appreciate each other's company and for whom a social bond is very important. They are simply social in a capacity than be difficult to accommodate in small cages, particularly when keeping two males together, due to territoriality which would not be an issue in a larger enclosure or the wild.
Fair point Dylan I can go along with that,

I just still find that there so infuriating at times though and in a normal captive situation in std size flights and cages they can be just a nightmare at times ~X(

LesLu13
Pip
Pip

Post by LesLu13 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:34 pm

OK OK calm down everyone. Haha :lol:

Lulu is quite a sweetheart, at least from what I've seen over the past 4 years...but then again that could be because her mate was her sister and they knew each other from literally their first day on Earth.

I understand hen-hen pairings -- what I'm dealing with -- are generally nicer to each other than their male counterparts. I would think hope another Z hen around the same age as Lulu who has also lost her mate would be eager to have a new one? I could see the difficulties each hen may have -- having to all of a sudden share her entire home, get to know each other to begin with, understand these are totally new birds since their mates are gone...I do still have the large cage I had to use to separate the sisters when Lesley was excessively preening Lulu, so if the time ever comes I can rescue another Z (fingers crossed [-o< ), I can introduce the birds to each other and their new living situation as slowly as needed.
...That IS a very basic idea of how you should introduce a new bird, right?
Lesley (Lulu's sister): summer 2013 - Oct-29-17 (suspected cardiac and/or respiratory abnormality)
Peggie: [Nov '16-Feb '17] - Mar-9-18 (peritonitis/septicemia resulting from eggbinding)

LesLu13
Pip
Pip

Post by LesLu13 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Also, for what this may be worth, since Dylan said 4 is young for Zs -- I know that at least Lesley was laying eggs up until shortly before the time she passed; not sure if Lulu also has been. The eggs have always been infertile (obviously) and they'd only lay once in a while (not at a worrisome rate), so I would think if at least one was still laying at age 4 that's a pretty good indicator Lulu can be considered young? (Dumb question but like I said I entered ownership with no knowledge whatsoever)

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:25 pm

LesLu13 wrote: OK OK calm down everyone. Haha :lol:

Lulu is quite a sweetheart, at least from what I've seen over the past 4 years...but then again that could be because her mate was her sister and they knew each other from literally their first day on Earth.

I understand hen-hen pairings -- what I'm dealing with -- are generally nicer to each other than their male counterparts. I would think hope another Z hen around the same age as Lulu who has also lost her mate would be eager to have a new one? I could see the difficulties each hen may have -- having to all of a sudden share her entire home, get to know each other to begin with, understand these are totally new birds since their mates are gone...I do still have the large cage I had to use to separate the sisters when Lesley was excessively preening Lulu, so if the time ever comes I can rescue another Z (fingers crossed [-o< ), I can introduce the birds to each other and their new living situation as slowly as needed.
...That IS a very basic idea of how you should introduce a new bird, right?
In basic terms yea could introduce any new zebras with other other zebras but is like every living animal you'd obviously need to watch em and simply keep a close eye on em as no two birds are the same :roll:

Be lucky

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:17 pm

As far as average age of birds goes, you have to consider that it's just that, an average. The average age doesn't mean they are old at that age, just that many are not cared for properly in captivity, which would result in a much earlier death.

With proper care, most birds will live much longer than the 'average'.

LesLu13
Pip
Pip

Post by LesLu13 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Millenia Thank you. Honestly, that's the thing I've been needing to hear. I'd like to think I cared for Lesley and Lulu properly throughout the years -- good diet (neither were ever big fans of fresh fruits/veggies, but I still try) & fresh bottled water changed as often as needed, cuttlebone, wide variety of perches and sleeping places where they'd feel safe, foraging bowl (which I only recently found about) that I try to change up, they turned their beaks up at the water bowl I repeatedly offered for bathing purposes; they preferred to bathe themselves in their drinking bowl about every other day which has been so fun cleaning up after, I clean the cage lining frequently esp. after their unpredictable bathtimes...I want to try to let Lulu experiment with free-flying once things calm down a little (she's still adjusting to her sister's passing) so she can get more exercise than she does in her cage. The cage is specifically for grass finches to accommodate their bountiful need for flying but I'm sure she would enjoy getting some more flying in.

And like I said, I know at least Lesley was laying the occasional egg up until her passing so I think it's safe to say that's a good indicator they're not exactly "geriatric" yet like I believed. I really do think Lesley died of the birth defect/whatever else may have been going on with her chest, but I've been monitoring Lulu who seems to be doing well so far (knock on wood) and I'm going to continue to, forgive the pun, watch her like a hawk. I can't afford to lost my other little baby girl. :(

LesLu13
Pip
Pip

Post by LesLu13 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Stuart whiting I've been quite lucky in that my 2 were so well-behaved. I'm sorry to hear yours were nothing but trouble! :shock:

Like I said I still have the big cage I used to keep my girls separated until Lulu's feathers came back in and they got used to their new foraging bowl, so I'd intend on using that for the new finch. And if she and Lulu aren't able to share a cage, it's large enough for a finch to get by in for a decent amount of time, though I'd still feel better purchasing a new cage specifically for finches so I know everyone's flying/space needs are being met. The big cage I refer to was a fancy big upgrade for the cockatiel from several years back; she didn't much care for it so we just held on to it.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:03 am

Millenia wrote: As far as average age of birds goes, you have to consider that it's just that, an average. The average age doesn't mean they are old at that age, just that many are not cared for properly in captivity, which would result in a much earlier death.

With proper care, most birds will live much longer than the 'average'.
Absolutely, well said :thumbup:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:13 am

LesLu13 wrote: Stuart whiting I've been quite lucky in that my 2 were so well-behaved. I'm sorry to hear yours were nothing but trouble! :shock:

Like I said I still have the big cage I used to keep my girls separated until Lulu's feathers came back in and they got used to their new foraging bowl, so I'd intend on using that for the new finch. And if she and Lulu aren't able to share a cage, it's large enough for a finch to get by in for a decent amount of time, though I'd still feel better purchasing a new cage specifically for finches so I know everyone's flying/space needs are being met. The big cage I refer to was a fancy big upgrade for the cockatiel from several years back; she didn't much care for it so we just held on to it.
A lot of it all boils down to just trial and error #-o

Yes mine were a lot of trouble but yer need to understand and bare in mind that I'm not just talking about the odd couple of zebras,

I'd had zebras for well over 20 years along with the rest of me other few foreign birds and British finches within me birdroom,

In reality in that amount of time I must of bred in excess of 700-800 zebras, may sound an awful lot but is only about 40 or so birds per year :D

Believe me I've certainly had my fair share over the years in troublesome zebras and is why I simply now will not entertain them any longer ~X(

I give mine all up over ten years ago

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:49 am

Stuart whiting did u find that ones you had since babaies or where adopted by society’s where nicer and didn’t act horrible
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3