Illness

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Adrianna100
Pip
Pip

Illness

Post by Adrianna100 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Hello,

I am the owner of 10 Zebra finches. My birds are approx 3 years old (other than my original two who were adopted). The rest are home bred. One of my males has been ill for about a month. I have taken him to the vet and the vet cannot figure it out. He sleeps often, is puffed out, and every once and a while I see him open his mouth wide and move his tongue (in a wiggling motion). He has been treated with both enrofloxacin and ivermectin and neither have done the trick. Oddly enough, a few weeks before he got sick one of my females was ill and passed away. The vet thought it was a respiratory infection but it ended up being egg binding that caused her death. At first I thought that he must have caught something from her, but after treating him with meds for both respiratory infection and air sac mites I have still not seen any improvement and I am out of ideas.

I have never had a bird with such a long illness. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else it could be? I dont want to give any more medication unless I know what I am treating for.

Thanks

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Illness

Post by wildbird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Maybe he is depressed about the loss of the female that passed away.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi I’ve always found that iodine helps with pretty much anything I had a problem with beaks legs and shivering like they was cold and iodine helped with all this maybe try some with him add a very very small amount to water just a little bit powdered in
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:40 pm

As from the suns of it you don’t have much option if the bets can’t fogure it out has he not got anything stuck in his throat maybe with u saying wiggling tongue
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Adrianna100

Hi Adrianna, and welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to hear about your loss and your sick little boy.

It is very difficult to figure health issues in these little guys. Are any of your other birds showing any signs of illness?

Personally, I would place him into a hospital cage, with a lamp with a 40 or 60 bulb over one half of the cage and shade over the other half. Over the years, I've found that the light and especially the warmth is very comforting to any birds that are feeling under the weather.

Have you had the opportunity to listen to his chest?
I know that you mentioned that he was treated for air sac mites and respiratory infection, but I would put him to my ear and listen anyhow (any clicking, ticking, sneezing, or any wet sounds to his breathing?)

How are his poops? Does everything look normal compared to the other bird's poops?

Is he eating and drinking normally? When you feel his chest bone, does it feel well fleshed or boney?

What's the diet like? Seeds, pellets, eggs, greens, veggies?

You mentioned that the original 2 birds were bought, with the rest being home bred. Are the other birds (other than the original two), children of these two ? Or have siblings been breeding together?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Adrianna100
Pip
Pip

Post by Adrianna100 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Thank you for all of your replies!!

I have tried listening and havent been able to hear anything. The vet also said he didn't hear anything when he listened with the stethoscope. I still wonder though.

He has been in a hospital cage with heat. In terms of the breeding, I should clarify. My original two males were adopted, and then I purchased two females. The rest of them are children of those two pairs. Siblings have not bred.

Their diet is seeds, green vegetables, and egg food.

I thought he appeared to be slightly better/more active after giving him iverlux for 5 days. But maybe it was my hopeful thinking. He continues to open his mouth for a few seconds and move his tongue around. He also makes a chewing motion though he is not eating at that time. It has been getting worse over the last two days.

He is still eating and drinking, when he is awake. His poops appear to be normal.